Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite rare breeds are and I mean the rare breeds that aren't AKC registered. Last time I asked a question like this people were saying AKC breeds.

I have only four favorites and they are: Coton de Tulear (obviously I have one, lol), Kooiker Dog, Chinook Dog, and the Stabyhoun.

What are yours? :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hm, I don't know many breeds that aren't AKC. Mini Aussies are pretty cool, we saw one at Petsmart yesterday, and OMG it was smaller than Basil, lol! He's 17 lbs and 13 inches at the haunches, too! I'd never own one, though, I've heard they're even drivier then the regular ones. That little 12 or so inch Aussie just looked TOO small, lol!

Oh, and I remember trying to find the German Spitz on the AKC website but I couldn't find it, so I suppose they're pretty rare. They're adorable, too :)

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Rarity has very little to do with AKC recognition.

The Plott hound was recognized about a year ago, but I doubt that has driven the breed to wild popularity. Most people have never seen a Plott and never will. I've seen maybe four and I watch for them. Wisconsin almost certainly has more of them than North Carolina, where they are the state dog.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Podengos (all sizes), Pyr Sheps (though they are now AKC they're what I would call rare), kooikerhondje, mudi, welsh sheepdog, english shepherd, Croatian sheepdog, Belgian Laekenois, silken windhound...

·
Registered
294 Posts
The New Guinea singing dog

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I think Tamaskans are gorgeous, but don't know much about them.

I do like Cats as well..

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Those are some awesome breeds everyone! And oh yeah I forgot about the English Shepherd, they're cool as well.

Well when I said "no AKC breeds" I said that because the last time I asked a question like that people were saying Old English Sheepdogs or Dobermans, when they're not rare. That's all I meant.

I've never heard of the Golden Ditzhund, I'll have to look them up. Thanks for showing me a new breed. When I was going to my orthodontist, his receptionist wanted an Dogo Argentino, but decided against it since she was having children and I think didn't want to train a dog at the same time.

Any type of wolf mix (Tamaskans, Utongans, Saarloos and Czech--spelling on some) are soo cool! I have two of them in my newest story I'm doing.

Have any of you ever seen any rare breeds?
The only ones I've seen are Catahoulas. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
In no particular order:

Patterdale Terrier.
Decker (Giant) Rat Terrier.
Entlebucher Sennenhund.
Jagdterrier.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I love the look and personality of a Kengal although I would never own one, because I need a dog that wants to work for me.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Podengos (ADORABLE), and of course the German Spitz. :)

Finnish Lapphunds, Eurasiers (sense a trend here ;P?), Silkens. Sloughis!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are cool too, guys! I have a Eurasier I'm doing in my story, well...my story is about this guy who does the Iditarod. I know they aren't used for sled dogs, but I saw somewhere where it said they could be used.

One of my co-workers wants a Cane Corso! They're huge! I'm hoping he buys one when he has the space in his house and the time. They have a dog right now and both he and his girlfriend are full time at their jobs (a PB/Shar Pei mix).

I love the way they show the Kengal standing in dog books, so erect. And the Entlebucher Sennenhund are neat dogs too (one of my characters in a story has one named Bonnie). I have the Dutch Shepherd in another story of mine named Wolf and he was going to be a K9, but didn't pass the test.

Those are really neat dogs guys! Anyone else? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts