Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seriously, they can all go burn as far as I care. -.-

Heat wave time! Pets need to be provided with a cool place to stay and plenty of fresh water. If you can't provide it outside, bring them inside. Real simple concept.

So yesterday, after I finally got my early morning errands finished, I came back to give Aleu a bath before the heat set in so she could come inside. (Diesel does have a very cool place to stay and of course I'm constantly giving him water.)
So we're wrestling over standing still and soap and she's soaking me, pretty decent bath. Neighbor walks by and says "It's awful hot out." O'rly?
"Yeah. That's why she's coming inside. Too hot for her outside."
-idiotic stare.head shake- Muttered something about being fine outside then walked off.
Yeah, sorry but when the forecast is 100+ degrees outside, I don't plan to just leave her in the shade and hope for the best.

Like I've said in previous rants, most of my neighbors just tie their dogs outside and to hell with them. Maybe drop some food on the ground once in a while, but that's about the extent of it.
Some of them have been considerate enough, though, to spray their dogs with their pose on high power then leave them to dry in the sun! :D How very thoughtful of them in this hot time.

Another neighbor has brought home a GSD puppy, a beautiful little sable baby with one ear up and the other flopped to the side, with a fat puppy belly (with worms most likely) and milk on his breath. Just makes it worse on a heart to watch :\
Since he's been here, he's been outside on a tie-out with no food, water or shelter. I've reported these people, even gone into the humane society myself, watched them take down their name, address and the situation and then look me right in the eye and say "I can take care of this.". And they've not done jack shit. Because they know the man's father, personally, I guess friends don't punish friends for letting their puppies suffer.
I've been taking him water, but it's not as if these people are right next to me, and we've recently had a feud that makes me going up there even more dangerous. I know I'm trespassing but I don't exactly plan to stop, to be honest. If they want me out of their yard they have to keep their kids out of mine.

I just feel so bad for all the pets that belong to inconsiderate, indifferent owners. In times of extreme heat (or cold) you'd think that if there was no other time they cared about their pets, it would be this one.

People stress me out.

I'm also trying to stress the importance of not leaving your pets in cars during this time of year. So many people still think that cracking the window is fine. :[

Anyone else having trouble with neighbors? How are you and your dogs beating the heat?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Generally I agree with you, but some dogs CAN be ok outside even in the heat if they are acclimated to it and if they have plenty of water and shade. I have a dog who is a sunbather and at times prefers to be outside in the heat rather than in the house. Even when I tried to provide some extra shade by putting up a canopy this is what she chose to do during a recent heat wave:

So she DOESN'T beat the heat, she soaks it up. But she has the choice to go in the shade if she wants, I offer to let her back in every 5-10 minutes, and there's plenty of water out there. My other two come back into the AC pretty quick on really stupid hot days, though. So yea, some people are just neglectful, but not always.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think I'd ever consider owning a dog I couldn't keep inside. Too hot during the summer, too cold in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I totally agree with you on the heat thing - it's supposed to be 106 in the Atlanta area today - UGH!!! My poodle loves sunbathing (even when it's warm), but I don't let him out to do this when it gets this hot. Dogs aren't intelligent enough to necessarily know when they've gotten over heated until it's too late.

Fortunately, I live in an area where most people take good care of their pets (Last year, I did report a renter down the street that crated their dogs in their garage that was only opened 4 inches during the summer, and they eventually moved out). I'm sorry you have stupid neighbors. If the Humane Society doesn't take action in the case of the GSD pup, I'd go up the chain of command - maybe the city manager- I'm not sure who would be next? I'd explain that you tried to follow the chain of command, but got NO results. Thank you for caring enough to do something about this neglect.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I take care of a blood hound that is outside 24/7. I re-water him twice a day and he has shade all day. I have tried having him in my house but he is not house trained and my dogs do not get a long with him because he tries to bite there uh... chapstick as I call it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh yes ... Blu Boy and Abbylynn love to soak up the sunshine ... but Blu Boy is not willing to go to the shaded area on his own for some reason :/ ... so I regulate their outdoor time. Abbylynn gets hot very quickly it seems (dark color doesn't help) I keep them indoors in extreme weather conditions ... It is my responsibility to keep them safe and healthy.

Some people need a wake-up call IMHO ... only it is too bad that circumstances can end up being tragic when an innocent animal dies from negligence. Poor animals ........

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We only have one person on this street that leaves their dog out during the day. I have reported them but since he has access to a garage for shade, a doghouse he won't use and water, they can't do anything. Mine go outside to potty during the heat and that's it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster is a typical Saint, the breed is known to be very heat sensitive & suffer heat stroke at relatively low temperatures. Buster spends most of the summer lounging in the basement. He'll come up when he wants to go outside and then I limit him to only as long as it takes to do his business. Once inside he'll grab a drink and head back to the basement to soak up the cold from the cement floor. He's usually either snoozing on the floor, the couch or the rug in the office down here. Humans wear sweats and heavy socks but the beast is comfy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you see a dog out in the heat in 100+ weather, don't call the HSUS, call 911. Someone posted an article about how people watched a Pomeranian die of heatstroke and no one did anything. Where I live its called animal abuse.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
If you think any of the neighbors might be interested in a fence (instead of chaining) but just aren't able to build one (money, health reasons) there is a group that works to help chained animals-- SOAR in Kentucky

If a dog truly has no shelter and no water, it is a crime and you can call the police. Kentucky animal cruelty law
525.130 Cruelty to animals in the second degree; exemptions

(1) A person is guilty of cruelty to animals in the second degree when except as authorized by law he intentionally or wantonly:

(a) Subjects any animal to or causes cruel or injurious mistreatment through abandonment, participates other than as provided in KRS 525.125 in causing it to fight for pleasure or profit (including, but not limited to being a spectator or vendor at an event where a four (4) legged animal is caused to fight for pleasure or profit), mutilation, beating, torturing any animal other than a dog or cat, tormenting, failing to provide adequate food, drink, space, or health care, or by any other means;

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My mom has had a number of outside dogs over the years and I'm happy to say her yard is dog free now and the only two dogs left are indoors. She left them out in all weather usually... It was sad. They did get water and a swimming pool to lay in though. The two we had the longest were pure black.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I live in the city so while there is plenty of stupidity regarding dogs here, at least there are no outside dogs - no one has a yard! But on the flipside, everyone has to walk their dog for exercise, and I get so mad when I see people walking (or worse, running) their furry dogs in the heat of the day. Yesterday it was 105 degrees here, and today it's already 95. When it gets like this, Biscuit goes outside, does her business, and then refuses to walk much further. Last night we took her to doggie daycare for a couple hours just so she could burn off some energy playing. I HATE seeing people out with their dogs in 100 degree heat. Awful.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a big difference between providing the dog with options and leaving it with none.
But still, I've seen heat stroke set in in a matter of minutes from dogs who didn't seem to mind the heat. I make mine cool down, just out of precaution.

In other news, I just went to check on the GSD puppy and it appears to have some shelter. It's a barrel with a hole cut out, but I guess it's something. .-. So perhaps the humane society did do something. I'll be shocked if that's true though because they don't seem to make rescues a priority. I checked for water, and, much to my amazement, there was some there. It wasn't cold, so I changed it, but I guess they made a small effort?

Shell: Thanks for the links and information. Sadly, I think I'll have some use for them.

Since people are actually reading this, riddle me this. Is it better or worse to give your dogs food when it's hot? I've always thought that eating in heat could make them sick, but I believe I saw somewhere where it said food was necessary during heat.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I forgot to add- I live in a very Rural farming community(less than 500 people) and most the dogs are outside dogs :( . I can count 5 on my street. The only dogs that are inside, usually are the little dogs. By that I mean under 20lb's. The rest are on chains or in a fence 24/7. Some of us "dog savvy" people in town look out for our neighbors dogs and make sure they have water. The people I walk with or talk to on walks have bigger dogs, I have 2 labs, there is a GSD/husky mix, golden retreiver, great Dane, 2 pit bulls and a rottweiler. We always get asked why we keep them inside and we tell them because we aint putting our family on chains. It usually shuts them up.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Since people are actually reading this, riddle me this. Is it better or worse to give your dogs food when it's hot? I've always thought that eating in heat could make them sick, but I believe I saw somewhere where it said food was necessary during heat.

I know my dogs won't eat if it is too hot. Either will the dogs I care for. I also read somewhere that it is dangerous to feed them if it is too hot but I can't remember where. If my dogs wont eat during there morning feeding then I wait till there night feeding and give them a little extra and they eat it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I feed my dogs first thing in the morning as the sun is coming up before the heat really gets intense. This way they do not suffer through the worst heat of the day with an empty stomach. I then give them a couple small dog biscuit treats in between during the intense heat of the day. I feed them dinner at sundown.

My dogs are faring very well this way. It makes for late night potty trips ... but comfortable ones. :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
In a prior home, we had neighbors with two Corgi's and a great set up. They had a garage, that was for the dogs. Had heat, AC and fans. They put in a dog door that went outside to a kennel. Great set up, the dogs could go out to potty or lay in the sun or go inside to the heat or AC.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah but there's heat... & theirs TEXAS heat, ESP our area (east tx, Houston area) which is famous for its hot & humid where the heat index also which can be close to 110 or better some days (the air temp has all ready passes the century mark a few times this summer) in the hottest part of the day I bring them in & let them out to potty when it gets cooler.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I had a husky foster outside yesterday. Of course she had 200lbs of ice to lay on in the shade so she was happy. It took it about 9 hours to completely melt even in the Alabama heat.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a husky foster outside yesterday. Of course she had 200lbs of ice to lay on in the shade so she was happy.
Aleu would have a field day with this. The dog is nuts for ice.
Of course yesterday she wanted to go for a walk when it was still 100 degrees and I just wasn't feelin' it, and neither was Diesel. He just wanted to stay cool, come get a drink and go back to chewing his chewies, she wanted to go for her walk. fruity husky.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts