Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 month old mini Aussie that weighs around 15-20 lbs. At least once or twice a week she wakes up with what my kids call "bubble gut". Her tummy makes all kinds of noises, every once in awhile it's accompanied by her vomiting(usually just clear liquid or a very small amount of food). Other times she goes off her food briefly. No diarrhea(slightly softer stools but nothing loose), and she is as active as always. The times when she goes off her food she will beg at the door to be let out so she can eat grass. She has been to the vet, and they can't find anything wrong. I was told to give her 1/2 tsp of Maalox when she is refusing food. Today was the first time that's happened and within 10 min of getting the Maalox she wanted her food. She gets Purina Pro Plans puppy food, she was on Science Diet when we got her and the tummy aches were happening before the switch. I scheduled another vet visit for next week, need to get her started on heart worm preventative. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? She gets ZERO people food and the only treats she gets are Authority Peanut Butter and Banana treats. She also has a few rawhides she gets when someone can keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think it might unusual for a young puppy to have this, but maybe not. I have an 11 year old Cavalier that has these exact symptoms. It doesn't happen all the time. In doing my research, I believe she has what might be an intolerance to something in her food. It might also be IBS or the start of IBD. I've fed all sorts of high quality foods throughout the years. She is getting older, though, and really just started having these symptoms worsen lately. So I began my research.....I have decided to put her on a low fat, lower protein food. I also give her probiotics every day with her food (each meal). She also gets a vitamin made for seniors, as well. In your case, I would recommend putting your puppy on a limited ingredient diet that is still suitable for puppies (an all life stage food). I would also cut out the Authority treats (forever) and the rawhides (at least for now, if not forever as well). The food I've finally ended up with that seems to be working the best for my dog is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient diets. I'm using the Potato and Duck....the dry, cans and the treats. I believe it is an all life stage food. Now some people will tell you that it is too low in protein, etc. but it is what's working for my dog. With your dog being a pup, you could try at first to just cut out the grains and add probiotics and see if that helps, but it really is just trial and error. And it could mean buying different foods to keep trying if one doesn't work, etc. So, that's why I'm suggesting the NB to you now. There are some good probiotics for dogs out there and some folks even use probiotics that are made for people. I don't think your pup would need a vitamin like my older dog. Also, being a pup, I've read that parasites like worms can cause this kind of stomach issue so perhaps another vet visit is in order to find that out. I'm using Total probiotics, but there are other great brands. I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts