Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rambling really...

First things first I pulled off Summer's leash and she ran THROUGH THE TUNNEL! It was amazing, I didn't even ask her to, she just did it. Okay... it's not that big of a deal but we've been working a long time to get her over her fear of tunnels, I was so happy! She got lots of treats.

Today she also managed to make Gus fall on top of her. I'm not sure how it happened but it involved a very happy Gus, two handlers that were distracted at the moment, and Summer's leash going taut across Gus's leg. Have you ever seen an Aussie try to dance his way over a papillon? It was interesting.... he bounced in the air and landed on his side right beside her. Luckily both dogs were fine. Summer actually didn't even blink let alone growl at him. (this is the DR dog we're talking about here...) She and Gus both popped up wanting treats.

Oh, and I want a puppy. It's official. Welsh Sheepdog puppies (my classmates have a new puppy) are darn cute and do not help my puppy fever one bit. Also, Summer was introduced to Fly (the pup) today and it went sooooo great. Summer really is MUCH more accommodating towards puppies than adult dogs. I'm seriously thinking about holding off on another dog for now and waiting until I can get a pup for that reason. The only dogs she's ever played with have been ones she's been around as puppies and lived with as puppies. I can't help but wonder if that's the route I should go. But then again, do I have time for a pup, particularly a larger, higher energy pup? Ugh... decisions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also starting agility with my lurcher
But am starting to show the symptoms for wanting a new pup
After owning fell collies in the past (working dogs) could I devote the time and energy a new pack member would require? (as well as my other 4 dogs)
Unfortunately deep down I know I could not. (so no new pup then)
But best of luck to you whatever you decide.
All the best
Stripe

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I got the agility bug a few months back, and I'm hoping to adopt a dog with a high drive. We started training with Jack to see if he might enjoy it, and he took to it wonderfully. Our trainer said she's never seen a dog pick up weave poles so quickly. Unfortunately, x-rays showed us that his cartilage was almost gone in both hips and bone was rubbing bone (he was an abuse rescue and came to the shelter with several fractures that were never properly taken care of) and though he shows no outward signs of pain, agility is not going to happen for him. He coulda been a contender, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts