Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Boston Terrier who I've had for a little over a month. I rescued her from a breeder who was "done" with her. She has been so great over the last month, but for the past few days she has been extremely restless and even whining and barking all night. The first month that I had her, she would always go straight to sleep and sleep hard all night, but it suddenly changed overnight with no change to her routine at all.

I always ignore the whining throughout the night to make sure I don't reinforce the behavior, but she keeps going and going and sometimes starts barking (which is not good since I live in an apartment with thin walls... and she is not a barker at all.) Normally, she sleeps through the night and when I wake up I let her come into my room and sleep on my bed/watch me get ready. She usually dozes off during this time as well, then when I'm done getting ready, we play and go for a walk before I have to leave for work. Now, when I bring her into my room in the morning, she won't sit still on my bed. From the moment I go to get her, she's hyper and restless. She also won't let me out of her sight. She'll just pace and run around.

She gets plenty of exercise. I do work during the day, but I take her for a walk before I go to work, and then a second walk when I come home for lunch, and then about an hour before she goes to bed. We also play a lot. I assume she sleeps when I'm away, but Bostons typically sleep more than most dogs, and since she's active throughout the day, she usually sleeps hard at night, and I hear her loud snores within 15 minutes of putting her in her crate.

She loves her crate. She spends time in it, she eats in it, naps in it, take all of her treats to it. It's very comfortable for her. It's like her little safe, comfy cave. She's not afraid of anything in my apartment. She's a super chill dog. My apartment complex is very quiet too.

I took her to the vet just a few days ago and health-wise, she's totally fine.

If this was normal behavior for her, I wouldn't be as worried. I would just assume that she'd learned the behavior with her previous owner and work on it over time, but since it's so sudden I'm feeling a little desperate, especially since I'm an experienced dog owner and have never seen such a sudden change in behavior.

Have any of y'all experienced this, or have any suggestions at all?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is she spayed? If not could she be coming into season? She is also probably starting to really settle in, it normally takes rescue/adult dogs a couple months to settle in and start to show their true personality. The only other thing I can think of is you say she gets lots of exercise, but how about mental stimulation? Do you do any training? Have any food puzzle toys or things like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is spayed. And the thing is that the couple of weeks before this started happening is when I really thought she was starting to settle in. Her first week, she struggled a little bit with separation anxiety, but we've been working on it, and she's doing really well, so I just don't know why she is regressing like this, and getting so much worse suddenly. She gets mental stimulation as well. We've been working a lot on training, and afterwards she is usually pretty pooped. And really, like I said, my main concern is the sudden change. If I'm doing something wrong, then I've been doing it since the first day I've had her, so why would she just start showing this behavior now? She's pretty well settled in. I haven't really strayed from her original routine, so it's just really random.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It can take many months to most dogs to truly settle in to a new home. As they do settle new behaviors can come out. Have you tired not crating her? If she can be trusted. Or move her crate into your room? Sorry I can't be more help, that's all I can think of right now. I know with my dogs as the seasons change their routines/habits change too. Vegas in particular gets more active going from fall into winter or winter into spring. My GSD would get more active as it got cooler out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I can trust her not to be crated. I don't know if she would go to the bathroom in the house, but she seems to be extremely uncomfortable being left alone in large open spaces. Once I tried leaving her in one of the bathrooms in my apartment. I though I was being nice, giving her more space to roam (it's a good sized bathroom, and I figured it would be a stepping stone to letting her free in the apartment, but she ended up pooping everywhere and trashing the place. I've had dogs like her before who feel much safer in smaller cave-like places, especially since she's so small. She's also a burrower, so she likes to be covered in blankets and feel swaddled. I've considered moving her crate into my room, but I don't want to have to move it back and forth because I like it to be in the busiest room in the house. She loves to hang out in her crate while I'm just doing typical things around the house, so I'd like to keep it in the living room (well, she used to hang out in it. Now, with this behavior change, she follows me around everywhere I go and acts all hyper and restless).

That's a good suggestion though. I may just buy another crate to keep in my room just for her to sleep in. I've also considered letting her sleep with me at night. Since she's a burrower, she LOVES to sleep under the covers next to me. The only issue is that she gets so hot under there, so when I try to pull her over the covers so she can get some cool air, she crawls back into them, panting like a crazy person, so it gets me worried.

Now I'm just ranting! But thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm hoping this is all just a phase, because the whining and barking at night is just a small part of the problem. Things were so nice when she just slept on my bed while I got ready for work. Now I feel like I have to keep an eye on her and get ready at the same time. It's a little exhausting. But I think I need to start building trust with her so I can feel better about her roaming the apartment by herself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's true that the wether is getting a lot cooler here in Branson, so maybe that's it. Her crate is right by the sliding door that leads to the balcony, so maybe the weather change is doing it. Ugh, gone were the days when she just slept while I got ready in peace. Hopefully things will go back to normal.

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Could it be something that she is hearing or smelling? If her crate is near an exterior door, could a neighbor have a new routine or be making new noises?
Check the batteries in the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detector, sometimes if the batteries are getting low, they produce a high pitched noise that we humans can't usually hear but dogs can.
Any chance of mice in the house? If its getting cold outside, its the time of year critters try to get indoors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I remember reading, on here I think, about someone's dog that would get restless in the evening and it turned out there were mice in the walls. So it's something to look into. We use to have squirrels in our attic, they traveled between the walls and my Scottie would go nuts, running and barking. But then squirrels were her mortal enemy. She hated them with a passion.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Has the direction of the wind changed? Air moving through windows drives my dogs crazy sometimes, Max was so much happier once the new tighter windows were installed. When it got colder and I didn't need the window fan on at night Bucky started barking at night, I put white noise on and he is better.

And it could be getting more comfortable, a month is early days for knowing her. Bucky has been here nearly 4 months and still surprises me daily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts