Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to start training my very active 8 month old Australian Shepard to not pass through a ranch gate when it opens. She has fenced acreage to roam in but the long driveway out the gate leads to a road and trouble. I have gotten suggestions of using a shock collar or prong collar but have no experience with these devices and am very reluctant to try them. Electric pet 'fences' don't really seem possible as there is no power nearby and from what I can tell they need to be in a loop. She's in her 'adolescent age' and recall is poor though it was excellent earlier. This might be difficult but ideally I'd like her to not even approach the gate under any circumstances. I've seen adult dogs that respect boundaries so I know it's possible. There is a pedestrian gate close by that I take her out on a leash. Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Will this gate be left open or do you mean you just don't want her to bolt when it does open? If it's the latter, look up "wait at the door" training for dogs. It teaches them to wait until given the okay before going through a door (or a gate in this case).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I don't want her to bolt during the minute or two when the gate is open. I'll look into "wait at the door".

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with Jen. Putting her into a down or sit until you release her, would be good. Maybe start with the house door, so that if she does try to bolt, she won’t be running into the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts