Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently gotten into Rally-O and was just wondering who else here may be into it and if they have any tips for training or have any further information on the sport?

I'm thinking of competing Linkin and my sisters dog Zero. I've been training Linkin at it for about a week now and he picked it up fairly quickly (which I knew he would, as he loves obedience). The only problem with Link is I most likely won't be able to go further than Novice. The second the leash is off him he bolts. It's something we've been working on for about a year now, and have gotten SOME improvement but it's incredibly slow.

Zero on the other hand I was able to train from just a pup (Linkin already had the bolting habit when I got him) and he listens very well off leash. Zero also needs a job as my sister and her boyfriend don't always have the time this big galoot of a dog requires, so I thought Rally O would be a good idea for him to give him something to do and tune up his obedience.

I've competed in Agility before, and have been interested in competing in obedience but never have. Then I heard of Rally-O and thought that's much more up my ally ;)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Like Agility think tight turns and smoothness...silky smooth. That's where you save time on the course.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Both my kids do CARO rally. I'm not an Ob person though I may think about it in future. I don't exactly love rally either, but I have enjoyed the better bond it has created. I'm a die hard agility addict, but I've grown fond of rally too.

What venue do you plan to play, might help people help you with tips as CKC vs CARO vs APDT are all a little different.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking CARO. It's hard to find trials for most events in my area, but I know there's a CARO held on that's going to be in Prince George (which is just 2 hours from me) in September. Not sure if I'll be going to compete or just watch, but either way I'll be there :p

I love Agility a lot, but my equipment's all falling apart and I've found it to be a real pain in the butt to keep in condition and move around. Plus once I move out of here not even sure how I'll bring the stuff with me! A bunch of laminated signs are deffinately easier to store and look after :p Not to mention, Coal is retired from Agility and like I said, I can't trust Linkin off leash so haven't even gotten to practice at agility much.

So thats' why I think Rally-O would be interesting to get into. It's easier on the joints, easier as far as "equipment storage" goes, and I can at least compete with Linkin through Novice for now. Plus I think it would be a good way to bond with the dogs.

I found some of the exercises kind of confusing at first, but have read through the whole CARO Master Handbook and I think I understand it a bit better now. If I come across something I'm not sure on though, at least now I know where to ask about it ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think you'll have fun. Remember you can choose to use food after you are finished a stationary sign in novice and advanced. Helped when Cider and I were new. And unlike CKC/AKC rally you have to complete each station or it's a NQ. Doesn't have to be perfect, but you have to do it semi correctly. Nothing to worry about now though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm just starting out with Rally. It is interesting!! I have done AKC Obed (last dog I put a title on was over 20 years ago)
My daughter got her dog for Jr Show and Obed. After showing him for a year she has decided she doesn't like Obed that much after all. I have been interested in trying Rally so when my friends who own a training school had a class on a night that was good for me I took it.
We have completed 7 weeks so far and I am just now getting the hang of it!!
I really am enjoying it and look forward to competing

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been debating about whether or not to use food. I don't typically train with food rewards, and I know Linkin and Zero don't need food to be motivated or happy with the reward (they both are very happy with praise). But I think in a competing scenario it may help me out to keep them focused around so many distractions. I read you could use a toy too (as long as it is kept hidden and not used as a lure, same goes with food) and Linkin tends to learn well with toys as a reward as he LOVES them but they also get him amped up pretty high. During training it's not such a big deal to take an extra couple minutes to settle him down and get his mind back on track, but I don't think I'd really want to do that in the ring.

I wish we had classes here. There are some in PG, but I don't have my lisence so getting someone to drive me two hours for a trial is one thing, it's another to go weekly for classes :(

·
Registered
631 Posts
I took one set of rally classes with Cider. We were the dunces of the class. Heeling and staying were on the bottom of my list of priorities. We'd taken a few sets of agility classes, I knew what I preferred I was a little closed minded about it.

Instructor and the entire class had big dogs. I had no concept of teaching heel, Cider was distracted and no one had any advice. I kept being told to put food in front of her face.. Except my hand wasn't ever going to be nose height.

The good about those classes.. I learned the signs and what the movements should look like plus the rules.. The minus we couldn't heel..

I decided to enter a trial 4 weeks later and got online advice about having a dog choose to heel. By the trial we were heeling well enough self taught that we got two Qs, a 1st and a 3rd. It was an amazing start and I felt pretty good about it all.

I used food a few times in each round. To do something with a toy might take time/ get the dog out of the heel position and cost you points, but if it works better it works better.

Smudge has been easier to work with. We chose to heel from puppyhood and he's not as high to work for me, but he is more intent about working. I have forgotten to use food some rounds with him (we've only done 3 rounds over 2 trials) as he's been so good, and then I feel bad.. But I like that he's so intent to keep working..

For Cider we really needed the food at first, and then again when we started advanced. We need one more Q of excellent so we haven't had the option in a while but we've worked past the newness of most distractions at least I hope ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts