Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I adopted two female labs (sisters). It wasn't until after I got them that I ran into dozens and dozens of articles and blog posts about the risks of raising littermates. It really got to me.

Instead of simply raising two dogs in a happy family, I have to deal with the huge stress about how they'll ignore me when they're older, how they'll fight and hurt each other, how one will be shy its entire life and never reach its full potential. It made me feel like I'm setting myself up for disaster, like I'm doomed to fail. :boom:

Yeah... not what I was looking forward to. I will not and cannot re-home one of them. I will raise both of them. Period. I've heard there's certain things you can do to really help the problem (I already think it's over-exaggerate anyway). Any personal experience with this? Advice maybe?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Lots of people raise litter mates without a problem(I did for 6 months). you train them separately, walk the separately, and have one on one time with each of them, crate them separately.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo and Blu Boy are littermates and for the last almost 6 years there has been only one issue at the age of about 5 months old and they got into a short lived tiff over what I will never know? :/

You need to teach them to share. You need to give individual attention and training times. You need to also give them training time together .. such as the sharing and also some walks and play. :) Give them separate crates. This IMO helps them to become individuals and not dependent on each other.

When Leeo passed ... Blu Boy did not seem to miss him greatly or go into a depression as I thought might happen. He is coping very well. :)

Give them time to play together and to play separately with the humans.

There is just a routine you need to get down and go from there.

I potty trained them together ... took them out at the same time.

I fed them together but in separate bowls and not right on top of each other as they got older. I kept a bowl of water between each of their bowls of food to separate them. They never fought over food and would willingly trade treats with each other.

There were many things I did on an individual basis and many things we did together. I would do it again if I had the chance. But that is just me and I have had dogs for over 50 years now. Lol! :)

AND ... not everyone agrees on the subject of raising littermates.

Just ask lots of questions and read up on your training skills. Use your training skills to their fullest!

There are many good stickies in the training forum ... just for starters.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You may not have any issues. Depends on the dogs. What I see with my pups, is you will have a couple of very (dreaded word) dominate pups, who start fights, hog the food, the toys, act jealous, and can be pretty aggressive, which causes the lesser pups to be more subdued then if they were in a less bullied home.

So I separate, give them one on one time, training, play time in different groups etc. With more even dogs, you shouldn't have as much trouble, just be sure to give them their own experiences, and work with each dog on its individual level. Do.t assume because one is this way, the other should be too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of people raise litter mates without a problem(I did for 6 months). you train them separately, walk the separately, and have one on one time with each of them, crate them separately.
Thanks. That makes it a little better.

Okay. I'll be straightfoward about how I manage them. They simply do everything together. We do not crate our dogs. Rather, we have a small room for them where they sleep. As for eating, they eat/drink from separate bowls, but still near each other and at the same time. When it's time to eat, we just fill their bowls and call them. We also take them out at the same time and walk them at the same time. And since they hang around together, they also play a lot together. But I'm also trying to focus more on one-on-one play time now. :redface:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AND ... not everyone agrees on the subject of raising littermates.

Just ask lots of questions and read up on your training skills. Use your training skills to their fullest!

There are many good stickies in the training forum ... just for starters.
Sorry for your dogs. I'm sure you had good times with them :)

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into a lot more training articles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may not have any issues. Depends on the dogs. What I see with my pups, is you will have a couple of very (dreaded word) dominate pups, who start fights, hog the food, the toys, act jealous, and can be pretty aggressive, which causes the lesser pups to be more subdued then if they were in a less bullied home.
For mine, one is slightly, slightly smaller than the other. But I'm pretty sure she's the dominant one! They chase each other around, and bite each other a little... but I can't tell if they're just playing rough or really going at it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The size won't matter in this case. Play is fun, both barking, biting, jumping around. Fights are really intense, usually in one yelling the other continues, when they do stop a lot of posturing, stiff legs, tail up, hackles raised, standing over the other, etc. Hard to explain, but when you have seen the difference, you'll know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts