Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the treadmill ( he is 25lbs and runs for 45 min and still is fll of energy) We tried doing training for 20 min a day. I have thrown a ball up and down the steps, I have played tug. I feed him dinner ina busterlike cube thing to keep him occupied and give off brainenergy...

any other ideas, he is never tired..

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dogs do not need only physical excersice..
It's mental stimulation what really wears them out.

Try some toys stuffed with frozen food.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have done frozen kongs and marow bones ( when he is in his crate).

Do you know what other toys are similar to the buster cube that are good?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Put on a raincoat and boots and take him for a walk. My dog has never missed a days' walk, rain, snow, sleet well, no hail yet but, you get the picture.

And mind games are great too......

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Other threads have been posted answering this question - you might want to check them out. I found some great games there. Here are things we did when our dog was going through this phase (we still do them, actually):

- she has a puzzle cube
http://www.petguys.com/-700603010710.html
- we play 3 kong monty where she has to guess which kong the treat is under
- I hide somewhere in the house and my husband gets her to find me
- I hide her tennis ball in a blanket or shirt and she has to find it
- I hide other stuff and ask her to find it
- we play chase all over the house
- instead of a regular ball for fetch use racquet balls -- they bounce a lot more so your dog expends more energy chasing them. And they won't hurt walls, furniture, etc. because they're so light. I used to throw one against the wall on the stair landing so she raced upstairs to get the ball but it was so fast it usually beat her down and made it to the opposite wall before she could get it. So she was racing back down the stairs. This turned into "who's faster, Poca or the ball?" which is still one of our favorite games. We play it anywhere with anything handy, even me, lol! She just has to beat whatever I name. Keeps her guessing! And since she follows me around the house, it means I get her moving faster every time we have to go up or down stairs - every little bit of extra energy burned helps!
- walks walks and more walks

One final thought. See if you can find a good local doggy daycare. Your pup will come home tired and happy and you'll get a nice quiet evening for a change while your pup crashes. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts