Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do with your dog when it rains and ruins your plans?

I've been itching to take Donatello to the dog park for three days now, but it's been raining steadily every day and now we may not even get to go to the dog park until Wednesday! Eek!

So today, I decided to take Donatello out with me for a little bit... We went to PetSmart and picked out a couple bones, then went to McDonald's then back to PetSmart's parking lot and shared a six-piece McNugget. : P He had fun and it got him out of the house for a little bit...

So what do you all do?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rain doesn't stop us :p Coal LOVES water and so do I, so we get right out there and play in the rain :D

Linkin isn't too big of a fan of it... in fact, he's very paticular about weather. He's like Goldie Locks, it has to be juuust right. I generally drag his butt out even if it's raining or snowing, and he endures it just to get to go for a walk or whatever we're doing, but if it's COLD I don't make him go. He can't stand the cold. I've been on the look out for booties for some time now but can't seem to find any (a year ago they seemed to be everywhere!). So his feet tend to freeze, but I figured out I can put hot water bottles in his back pack and that keeps him warmer for a bit.

If for some reason we decide the rain is going to stop us, we just play games inside or laze about. One of their favorite games to play is "ready, steady, GO": I place or throw a toy down the hallway and the dog has to stay until I say "Ready? Steady? GO!" and they LAUNCH after it like they were spring loaded! This one's entertaining for other people too because for one, my dogs have a great amount of patience because of this game, and also sometimes I'll throw in a bunch of "go" words (Golden, Go-Go Karts etc.)... they go after it based on the TONE of my voice rather than the command, but people who don't know that think my dogs understand english lol

Or we'll push the coffee table back in the living room and do obedience. Another fun one to play on rainy days is "Hide and seek", which is pretty self explanitory. The fun thing about having a tracking trained dog is I can hide one dog and get the other to find him, rather than them always just finding me!

But in general, the rain doesn't stop us ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Rain doesn't change my plans. It is raining hard today I just got back from a 4 mile hike with all 7 of my crew they were soaked I was soaked but we had fun. My smallest one wears a raincoat and boots since he gets cold easier he was the only dry one LOL

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
neither rain nor sleet nor - temps keeps the dogs and i away from the parks, even if for only a short time (1/2 hr).....we get wet, cold or both (or, at least i do) but they need to get out and run, regardless....the only things that keep us from the outdoors is ice on either the park or the roads (basically, bad roads)....i won't run them on the ice so we will go inside the dog club if we can't be in the yard there....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
We just go! Rain doesn't stop us...

We usually just go for a walk to keep the mess to a minimum, but if we do go to the dog park on a rainy day we pack towels to get the bulk of the mud off before we load her back into the car.

And then... a bath!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I live in Oregon, and if silly ol' everyday rain kept people inside, people and dogs would only be peeking outside once a month!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to take Donatello to the dog park, but I'm not big on mud, or mud on my nice clean dog, or mud in my nice clean truck. : P lol! Call me horrible, call me mean! lol!

I wanted to get him out of the house for a little while today, and taking him to the store, then to McDonald's, his favorite place to eat, : P , I thought it'd suffice. lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts