Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old puppy that uses his doggy door 95% of the time. The other 5% is the occasional puddle I find.

When it's wet or raining he uses his doggy door 0% of the time. Even when I take him out if it's wet or raining he won't do anything but try to get back in or just look at me. The 'go potty command' works every time I use it except when it's rainy or wet.

This is happening at night when we're all in bed. I rarely find an accident in the morning if it hasn't been raining.

Should I use a pee pad on those nights when I know he's not going to use his door? Or will this just make him think he doesn't have to go outside anymore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
At 6 months old I wouldn't be using a doggy door at all. I'd be taking the puppy out at regular intervals until he is 100% house-trained (usually 9 months to a year old). I would also worry about a 6 month old puppy being outside alone and unsupervised.

As far as him not wanting to go in the rain that's pretty normal. Take him out with an umbrella to the driest part of your yard and stand there with him until he goes. Of course this will work best if you know when he went last (if you took him out) so you will know when he has to go again.
Using potty pads will likely set you back in house training.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
I would be using a crate and regardless of it raining or not, the dog would to out to pee or poop and be rewarded for it. If no go in the rain, back in the crate and back out in 20 minutes for round two. At this age you may end up losing some sleep.. but it is worth it to have a potty trained dog.

Doggy door is fine, but after you have solidified the house training to a greater degree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
My dog is 7 years old and she still hates going out in the rain. I think it’s partially cuz her belly’s so close to the ground it gets wet and she thinks the feeling is uncomfortable or something. We do still force her to go out to use the bathroom.

We haven’t used pee pads for our dogs since I was a kid, they seem to do the opposite of what they’re meant to with all the dogs we’ve had... Agreed, crate training would probably be the best bet until he’s fully potty trained.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top