Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone have any good suggestion on how to get your dog to do his business outside even when it's raining? It's raining pretty bad here in NY so i tried to get him to do his stuff outside today, but every single time he wouldn't go and would just run inside and poop on the floor the second i'm not looking. I even tried to not let him in until he went outside, but that just made me stand in the rain for 2 hours.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Rain can be a tough one to remedy because, depending on when they were born, it is possible for the dog to be 8 months old before if is forced to eliminate in the rain. Who knows how the dog will react to this new experience. Everything has to be figured in…like, do you put a rain coat on your dog. I’ve found that hoods on many dog raincoats can be distracting to the dog. The hoods can alter their hearing and vision enough that they freak out. So I always remove the hood before going out into the rain. Another thing to look at, do you ever ask your dog to eliminate on command? When I was raising Elsa, I would ask her to “do your duty.” She didn’t have a clue what I was asking for, but when she eliminated, I treated and praised. Eventually, she learned that if she eliminated in the same yard we always go to eliminate at, she would get a treat. I’m sure you’re familiar with positive reinforcement. I’ve also found that walking also helps stimulate the urge to eliminate. Instead of standing in the rain for 2 hrs, possibly being frustrated and transferring that negative energy to your dog, walk with her. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i will never get my dog a doggie rain coat, i just think they're pretty stupid. Jeez i wouldn't even wear a raincoat myself. But i'm training Ronin to pee when i tell him to. I'm not sure if he's getting it yet though, because he pretty much runs to the yard and pees immediately. I wanted to take him out to walk but it gets pretty flooded in my area whenever it even rains a little bit. The damn city needs to put more or better sewer drains here. Yeah those idiots think it's such a smart idea to put drains everywhere but at the bottom of the hill. Anywho it hasn't rained here in a long time so i guess i'll see if he'll go in the yard the next time it rains.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Reward and praise. When it goes in the rain make it very clear that it did a good thing. To get it to go in the first place you could try throwing treats on the ground to get it sniffing and interested in the first place.

·
Banned
84 Posts
haha you need...

Killerdrgn said:
Hey anyone have any good suggestion on how to get your dog to do his business outside even when it's raining? It's raining pretty bad here in NY so i tried to get him to do his stuff outside today, but every single time he wouldn't go and would just run inside and poop on the floor the second i'm not looking. I even tried to not let him in until he went outside, but that just made me stand in the rain for 2 hours.

you need go to out yourself with him at this age ..... be with your dog ... have fun in the rain. thats the only way..

again have fun!!!!!

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts