Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a couple of years ago, we moved from Texas to Charleston, knowing that the summers would be cooler (more humid but cooler), and the winters would be much milder. But, I forgot about ... the rain.

Charleston has internationally famous gardens ... b/c of all the rain (as well as other factors). Rain that threatens to wash away California and Texas, is a minor annoyance in Charleston, mainly b/c it means more mosquitos. Plus, most of the flooding will drain away into the Atlantic Ocean in just a few hours [Got to keep those levels up.]. We don't take out the umbrellas, until the cars start to float. And, everyone has multiple umbrellas - one in the house, one in the garage, one in the car, one in the trunk, one by the front door to get the mail and newspaper, and so on. But, of course, we don't need them unless the cars are floating away. Anyway, Shep LOVES the rain.

And, We currently have a flash flood warning related to the weather front that is protecting us from Hurricane Joaquin off the coast. So, rather than a hurricane, we'll only have 6 - 12 inches of rain, and flooding , until the rain stops. Then, we'll have beautiful Fall weather again.

Meanwhile, Shep, my 15 yo arthritic Lab mix who walks slowly and with a limp, needs to go out and potty. Most reasonable dogs would look through the opened door at steady rain, then look back , ' out there?'. Shep doesn't look back .... It's raining!!! He 'bounds' out the door, splashing through every puddle, threatening to walk through the flowing, growing creek. He does his duty, then takes off like a rabbit ... in slow motion.

Anyway, as I trudge in the cold rain [with an umbrella!!!] through all the water in the field behind Shep, he is splashing around like puppy ... in slow motion. So, he seems to like this water therapy ... but I have to participate ... and then dry us both off about 4 times a day ... and it's a cold rain ... ok, tepid.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah Hurricane Joaquin is the reason we came back from Ohio a day early.

Lol BB is the same way, the rest of my weims hate the rain, but she could live out there in it.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it seems to be a two-umbrella flood, possibly expected to recede at 3:30pm today. It you see Charleston floating away on the news, it is Not due to climate change, and most of us greatly prefer the inconvenience of a flooding to a hurricane. A small percentage did get some house damage, but most of us just have temporary lakes in the backyard and in the street. The rain, itself, isn't bad, slow and steady, so there's some drainage. THis biggest issue is that this is one of the largest high tides of the year (everywhere: Supermoon).

Unfortunately, Shep is overjoyed. He really wanted to go for a walk, I don't don't like to trudge through a cold rain, so I kicked him out in the backyard, and he had a great time... then came into the garage and shook all of his good time all over me, 3 times. So, now my garage, my house, and I all have that "wonderful wet dog smell." [Yes, he has been trained, Not to shake ... but I have to give him the cue, and I hadn't needed to tell him, recently ... and now I've paid for forgetting to. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love the idea of a dog loving the rain! I've never encountered this. Mine hate it and Sheena will go 18+ hours without peeing to avoid it.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Kylie won't go out and pee in the rain, and her first agility thing in the rain she turned and left. Lately though she's getting all frisky and hyper when we're out there doing something.

Molly and Thud don't care.

Jack and Bug are firmly in the 'TO HECK WITH THIS" camp.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Louie used to prefer going potty in the house and getting punished than going potty in the rain for a treat. Clyde just finds it annoying because it bothers his ears but otherwise doesn't care.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Because california is mostly dessert, and Texas is almost dessert, and our soil is mostly either clay sand, or what locals call "black gumbo" which is a slick, black clay like dirt, both are not great for rain absorption, they will to a POINT, but after the soil becomes saturated, it becomes like ... slick on top and all the water runs off.

Give me a hot, dry texas summer any day LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts