Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend, she's of Korean decent. anyway she called last night to say that she was in the city with her two dogs (rescue GSD and rescue DalmatianXGolden retriever) anyway some random guy came up to her and said something to the effect of Asians shouldn't own dogs as pets, is they still eat them as food... anyway he called me that night in tears so devastated, she's really sensitive and easily hurt, apparently this has happened before with people being racist because she's Asian and has dogs. I was just wondering, do others in other parts of the world, get pet ownership racism as well, I would like for her to read this thread so that she knows other people go through it too and that there's support, as she doesn't want to take her dogs out anymore (the city is where she takes them for grooming and her vet is there....she lives in a different state to me now :[ ). Thanks guys a bit of advice or story telling would be good for her.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think the problem probably has more to do with general racism rather then anything linked specifically to pet ownership. After all, I have a hard time believing anyone would make such a comment unless they already held hostile feelings toward people of Asian decent. With your friend, having dogs and being part of a culture that occasionally eats them (even if she herself has never done it, doesn't approve of it, etc.) makes for an easy stereotype for people to latch onto.

Just remind her that those making racist comments are not worth your anger, sadness, grief, etc. I know it's hard to let something like that brush off your back but when you react or allow them to take something away from you (such as the desire/fun of taking her dogs out) then those people win. Tell her to be proud of who she is and all she has and that that's all that matters.

And remind her that she knows she loves her dogs and you know it too. Some ignorant person on the street can never change that.

Edit: I forgot to also add that I'm sorry your friend has to/had to experience such things. It's never a fun situation and often something that's hard to get over. She shouldn't have to worry about such things when doing something as simple as taking her pets for a walk.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
I agree with DS. A racist is a racist and the dogs were just an excuse for this particular racist to show off his ignorance and rudeness.

It's easy to say that your friend shouldn't let the comments from such a stupid person bother her, but I know it would bother me. It would be nice if she could spend some time with dog owners from various cultures who are less ignorant. Love of canines is a tie that binds a lot of us.

A quaint, but popular, little saying when I was a kid was, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I actually tried that out on some neighborhood bullies when I was about eight and I was pretty pleased with my snappy comeback - right up until they started pelting me with sticks and stones.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I know we have at least one member here who has experienced this particular brand of racism. I'm sorry your friend has as well :(

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It's easy to say that your friend shouldn't let the comments from such a stupid person bother her, but I know it would bother me. It would be nice if she could spend some time with dog owners from various cultures who are less ignorant. Love of canines is a tie that binds a lot of us.
Oh, it would bother me too. There just isn't a lot else you can do when it comes to rude comments besides try to cope with them the best you can.

Spending time with other dog people is a good idea, though. Maybe you can even convince your friend to sign up here and join the conversations :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, it would bother me too. There just isn't a lot else you can do when it comes to rude comments besides try to cope with them the best you can.

Spending time with other dog people is a good idea, though. Maybe you can even convince your friend to sign up here and join the conversations :)
I'll mention it to her, i know she had a bit of trouble on a horse forum a while back and said that she wasn't going to go onto forums anymore...but i'll try to persuade her :)

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Humans suck. That's the long and short of it.
That's a pretty broad stroke and I don't believe you really mean it.

There are good people who accept other people (and critters) based on their own merits and not on any canned stereotypes.

The peckerheads do tend to stand out in a crowd, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol it's sad to say I'm not surprised that happened to her. I'm still waiting for someone to shout something like that to me from their car when I walk my GSD. But what can you do...ignorance is stupidity at its best.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Agreed.

I'm sorry for your friend. There's all kinds of discrimination going around. Someone who married into my family once told me that black people shouldn't own pets because they're lazy... :rolleyes: And she was upset when I asked her if her mother was a racist as well... :D

Fortunately, the ignorance of your friend's particular peckerhead does not reflect on her. It only speaks to his ignorance. It has nothing to so with her at all.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
That's a pretty broad stroke and I don't believe you really mean it.

There are good people who accept other people (and critters) based on their own merits and not on any canned stereotypes.

LOL @ the term "Peckerheads"

·
Registered
52 Posts
How awful. I hope she won't let the racists win by keeping her dogs in. I'd just remind her that such ignorant people are a very small minority.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
LOL @ the term "Peckerheads"
Yeh, somebody should probably alert a moderator.

It's hard for me to get too riled up about the Dog Whisperer or deisgner breeds or what's the best kibble out there but bullies really tick me off.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts

HA! That one got me.

Next time she hears it she can do the smart thing.. ignore it and consider the source.. or do the stupid thing like I would do and say, "Actually, these dogs come from a country where dogs eat people. I am safe because I show them where the best food is" (while pointing at the guy and allowing the dogs to strain at their leashes...).

I have NO use for prejudice, racism etc. None at ALL.

Yeh, somebody should probably alert a moderator..
Pffffttttt..... (coffee on the Monitor.. will it make it run better?)

It's hard for me to get too riled up about the Dog Whisperer or deisgner breeds or what's the best kibble out there but bullies really tick me off.
When I was 11 years old there was a bully who picked on my 8 year old Brother. One day I was sick of it and I beat the daylights out of him on my way home from school.

My Brother came along after me, and he was sick of it too and he Beat the daylights out of the guy a second time.

To this day I remind him that when it comes to bullies, I soften 'em up and he finishes 'em off....

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
People that make comments like that make me so sad. It is just the sign of an empty person. Hopefully your friend can move on as she knows the comment really has nothing to do with her.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Hey now this is a dog forum.

Careful how you use the word "bully" :p

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
What an awesome guy. :rolleyes:

My (not so much anymore) friends say odd racist things in relation to their dogs. One proudly boasted that when they walk their pit, black people automatically cross the street and never approach them. When I questioned whether or not these people were crossing the street because of some odd stereotype they've made involving black people somehow fearing pits, or because their dog is horrendous and aggressive and lunges at every one within a half mile, they had no response. Kind of shows how little thinking racists and bullies are actually capable of.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Sorry for your friend's misfortune :(

Unfortunately, I know many breeders that will not export their puppies to many (or any) Asian countries, due to them being concerned that if they "don't earn their keep" as a show dog, they'll meet a not so acceptable end.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
oddly enough I've gotten a weird sort of reverse rascism thrown at me from time to time.

Im a female of apparent european descent who owns a pit bull.

"Why associate yourself with criminals and gangbangers by having a dog like that?"

"Pit Bulls are black people dogs."

:confused: :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts