Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any advice for using R+ to keep cats off the table, etc.? As far as I can tell, Murdoch does it mostly for attention and only sometimes to steal food (although sometimes he does it to get my attention so that I'll feed him).

ETA: Also, is there anything I can do to get him to stop hitting stuff off of other stuff!?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
So . . . you'd like him to stop being a cat? lol.

There's a training show (or used to be) on R+ training cats. It seems to work exactly the same as training dogs, it just takes longer because cats aren't naturally biddable like dogs. I would approach this as if my dog were doing it- no attention for being on the table, train an "off" command, heavily reward being on his own bed, cat condo, whatever.

Hitting stuff off of other stuff seems to be a cat "thing", but you could heavily reward playing with his own toys. You could also buy some interactive toys. There's some cool motorized toys that look like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I don't mind so much when its pens or erasers or hair bands or whatever... but recently he's started knocking over heavier and heavier items... the PS3 controller, Snowball's long lead... our computer headphones... I'm pretty sure he's plotting to topple the computer monitor one of these days....

He likes the laser pointer, but only when HE wants to play laser pointer. He gets bored very quickly with wand toys.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
been using the old fashion time out "off" to work with Azamet that he can do anything in the world all over the house at any time... but not get on my computer table.... the computer table is in my bed room so I'm right there to be consistent every time in the beginning (and that was many many times of getting up to get him saying off and box (cat house name) and put him in his cat house) the next phase was him pausing before he jumped and I could just say "off" at a distance and he would change his direction.. about 4 or 5 months of training that he doesn't bother with the computer table..

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't think that My Cat From Hell is about minor stuff like knocking things over or staying off the table, LOL. Although I suppose the same principles would apply. There is a clicker book for normal everyday house manners (not tricks). . .let me see if I can find it. . .

Well, it's out of stock on Amazon. But if you can find it somewhere else, Naughty No More by Marilyn Krieger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1933958928/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1395262386&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

It does specifically mention staying off the table in the book description.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
www.jacksongalaxy.com

He has a blog and e-mail list and everything, not just the show. Maybe there are some tips about tables and knocking stuff over.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
I have trained Pi, via clicker ('clicker'= YES because I still can't use a clicker for crap), to sit, lie down, come, beg/sit pretty, spin and leg weaves.

It has not, however, made one iota of difference in deterring her from doing annoying cat things like knocking things over high surfaces. That still mostly gets a "No" and a clap, the recognition that it's probably going to happen while we're gone and things kept back from edges and doors shut between her and the room where the computer lives, because yes - monitor. Most of those things lose appeal for my cats without a while being allowed to 'practice' the behavior, exercise helps too, but mostly - management. Trying to keep a cat from climbing or jumping onto high surfaces is like trying to train a terrier not to chase squirrels. You might check it when you're there and supervising, but it's a hardwired thing.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the resources guys.

Does he have something high that is near the table that he can get on?
Yes, but more often or not he jumps onto the table and then the buffet, and vice versa. I really think it is almost 100% an attention seeking behavior, since it gets a million times worse just before feeding time. Unfortunately, our place doesn't have the best layout; there are only windows on the north side, and the kitchen is on the south side. We probably have too much furniture for our place, which makes it easy for Murdoch to climb around on stuff. We could probably put a cat-tree type thing by the fireplace... or maybe some cat-shelves?

Which, actually just now lead me to this:

Which is the solution to a problem that I wasn't even looking to solve yet!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Look up clicker training for cats :) Teach targetting, and every time your cat jumps on the table, lead him onto an appropriate surface (I let my cats sit on a stool or end table nearby), click and treat. Any time you are rewarding the cat in the area, do it in that one spot. Eventually your cat will prefer to sit there instead :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Well... we inadvertently trained our dog to chase the cat down off the counters... that's the best solution I've had so far.
It helps to keep everything off the counters so the cat doesn't get rewarded for going up there. Also helps for not getting things knocked off though I know that's a huge commitment. If you're not averse to aversives, before the dog, we used a Ssscat alarm, which has a motion sensor, and makes a loud noise, and also shoots a spray of compressed air. My cat hated that thing. (We have 3 cats; only one is really a problem).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts