Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a dog with quirks? I have a rottie that loves to be spanked. Not kidding... the harder I spank her the faster her tongue licks the air. She knows that momma gives the best spankings ever. This just cracks me up. I love my Guardian, but she is a bit twisted. :) (of course I never spank her hard enough to hurt her)

So, what's your dog quirks?
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Nice Rottie you have there! :) I have heard that some dogs think that is a really cool game! :) Especially the big dogs ... I have a Dobie/Rott mix who likes to turn upside down and stand on her head while I pat her butt! Lol! :) Silly dogs anyways! :)

·
Banned
241 Posts
Nice Rottie you have there! :) I have heard that some dogs think that is a really cool game! :) Especially the big dogs ... I have a Dobie/Rott mix who likes to turn upside down and stand on her head while I pat her butt! Lol! :) Silly dogs anyways! :)
I had been wondering what you had! :) Awesome dog you have.

My girl PH loves to play the 'get my nub' game. Sometimes me and Princess will double team her trying to get her nub. PH loves it! Amazing how she can move so fast and keep us both away from it! Almost like she has eyes back there and can see when we are reaching for it! LOL! :)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Thanks DobermanGuy! :) - Abbylynn is the first non-purebred Doberman I have ever had as well as the first Rottie ever. :)

OP ... so far I think it is safe to say these dogs like tail-end games! lol! :)

·
Administrator
12,385 Posts
Esther likes rough play, but you have to know exactly when to stop before it escalates into something dangerous. I discourage others who don't know how the off-switch works from engaging in them.

Not kidding... the harder I spank her the faster her tongue licks the air.
Are you absolutely certain that this means she likes it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Esther likes rough play, but you have to know exactly when to stop before it escalates into something dangerous. I discourage others who don't know how the off-switch works from engaging in them.

Oh, yea... she comes looking to momma with those pleading eyes, and turns to put her bottom towards me so I will spank her. :whoo: It's the funniest thing. And if I don't spank her, she nudges me till I either do, or send her away.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Yup. Pits, Labs, and Rotts are very tough dogs and sometimes love rough play that would terrify other dogs.

Something to try: rather than spank try scratching hard on her back, in front of her tail, and let her guide your hand....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Heres a quirk. When Roonie, the Schnauzer/Poodle walks down a set of stairs he packs one hind leg, so both front legs are walking but he just hops down the stares with one back leg, its the weirdest thing but hilarious to watch. I think it is because if he uses two legs he gets all tangled up in himself so he has learned to use just one.

Kodi still has the same old oral fixation he always did, in fact he just walked by and gave my feet three full tongue licks for no reason, just a passing lick as he headed to the other room. He has had that since we got him, its awful to sit down and pet him or try to play with him because he has that over active tongue that will not stop until it has fully covered ever square inch of my bare skin (and plenty of inches of clothing) in a good thick layer of slobber.

Whenever Lady comes up to me she goes into beg position (which she was never actually taught) for a "high ten". All I have to do is touch her two front paws and she is happy and looking for belly rubs.

Heres another Lady quirk. She will stand at one end of the garage and lean into the cement (which is the foundation for the garage and its about 3 feet high) and walk along the entire length of the garage rubbing against that cement. Its kind of like how cats will rub against your leg and create their own petting. Lady also does this with the garage door and me if I wont pet her.

·
Registered
948 Posts
In the big dog section of the dog park, my Westie is sort of an "enforcer" -- he sticks close by my heels until he thinks a dog is getting a little too excited, he's off like a shot to put an end to it. I've seen him body-check dogs many times his size, and they always stop what they're doing. He's pretty vocal about it too. And if his little brother is having too much fun, Scout moves in to break it up. He's pretty good to come back when I call, but he's just so dang quick.

But the quirky part is this: he knows where the water dishes are, but he won't go over there by himself. He barks at me until I start heading in that direction.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup. Pits, Labs, and Rotts are very tough dogs and sometimes love rough play that would terrify other dogs.

Something to try: rather than spank try scratching hard on her back, in front of her tail, and let her guide your hand....
Zoe LOVES this. I`ll rub/scratch really firm and she pushes her rear into my hand and twist to guide my hand all the while looking back at me and switching from one hind leg to the leg, almost like she's dancing. It's hilarious! She also likes me to scratch the side of her neck and leans really hard into it, with the funniest expression on her face.

Her face looks a lot like this lmao

·
Registered
388 Posts

Might that be a calming signal?

I am quite wary of rough play with any dog, including my own little gentle feathered one. She is the sweetest soul in the world, especially with me, but I have observed what she does with "Mr. Duck," a favoured stuffed toy of hers. She basically shakes the toy from side to side - hard - presumably to try to dislodge its brain, prior to consuming it. As if the stuffed thing could be consumed or would want to be consumed by my little lame-brained carnivore.

As well, I don't play tug-of-war games with her. I don't doubt they are fine with some dog owners who are more knowledgeable than I. But I worry that it could escalate into a "You are trying to take my toy from me??" -growl, snap scenario. I don't want to resuscitate the fairly minor resource guarding issues that Plume had when she first came to me.

I agree with Hank. A vigorous scritching just above the tail should send any dog into instant ecstasy and happy tail wagging.

Spanking? I kind of think not ...

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Susie does that air licking with her tongue but it is because I am scratching her on a place she finds hard to reach. She also shakes her stuffed toys like she is trying to kill them but has never once chewed one up or torn them. She loves playing tug-a-war but stops as soon as you let go and will drop the toy or pick it up when I ask her to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL - my GSD LOVES the spanking game. She will back up into me, lean into me, etc. When she wants it to stop guess what? She walks away. Just like the 'I've got your tail/bum game' (a chasing game) Just like the 'I'm on the floor and your body checking me' game (yes, the dog body checks me. And we wrestle. And marvel at the fact that all I have to do is get up for her to stop!)

Those of you who do not understand big dogs and how to play with them, thats all that matters. When they are done, they let us know by walking away. When we are done, we walk away. As long as the dog has manners, a ball is not the end all to playing with your dog.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Another "fun quirky game" ( for those not faint of heart) ... when I first rescued Abbylynn ... she would charge at me and growl and show her teeth and try to knock me down ... now after months of training if I just stomp my foot we have a great game of " Tuck my butt in and whirl around as fast as I can in circles " game ... still growling, but only play! lol! :) She will stop when I stop.... with another play bow of course ... :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
LOL - my GSD LOVES the spanking game. She will back up into me, lean into me, etc. When she wants it to stop guess what? She walks away. Just like the 'I've got your tail/bum game' (a chasing game) Just like the 'I'm on the floor and your body checking me' game (yes, the dog body checks me. And we wrestle. And marvel at the fact that all I have to do is get up for her to stop!)

Those of you who do not understand big dogs and how to play with them, thats all that matters. When they are done, they let us know by walking away. When we are done, we walk away. As long as the dog has manners, a ball is not the end all to playing with your dog.
If I could thank you for this, I would LOL Big dogs, and even sturdy medium dogs (like mine) Love rough play! It's fun and exciting for them and makes the bond between you stronger. There's more to play then a ball or frisbee. And yes, tug-of-war IS important. It's playing. You are not taking their toy away, it's just a fun game and they know it. Dogs need to be touched, they need to be massaged, so rough play with spanking, scratching, that's all very good for them. And they will let you know when they are done, and vice versa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rascal, my German Pinscher, LOVES good game of tug.... and if I quit or lose my grip, he offers it back up to me. LOL He doesn't want to "win," he just wants to play.

Quirks?? I could write a novel.... Mikko talks to us when we give him a good scratch.... Rowdy will fall over and offer his belly at the drop of a hat.... Rascal snorts when he's playing.... and Bella, well, we're still figuring her out. :/

·
Registered
948 Posts
I play tug with my dogs, they play tug with each other, and we all play 3-way tug together. They both release when I tell 'em to. The 80-pound ridgeback adjusts his strength when pulling against the westie, who somehow manages to bark with a mouth full of rope.

In fact, we play tug with my thumb & forefinger hooked behind their canines.

I wrestle with the big guy, too -- he grips my hands & arms, but never bites.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think my oldest male has OCD? lol because Ill tell him to lay down and as soon as he does he'll get up and spin around once then lay down again. Ive been noticing it a lot more every time or here and there. when he goes to the bathroom he spins around 3 times before pooping. While April my female does her potty dance stepping side to side. Rockstar my cat likes getting spanked in the butt also.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Rascal, my German Pinscher, LOVES good game of tug.... and if I quit or lose my grip, he offers it back up to me. LOL He doesn't want to "win," he just wants to play.
Yes, Casper is the same! He will grab a toy and jump around with it, growling playfully, trying to get someone to grab it. When they do, he'll pull hard and growl and have a great time, but he'll drop the toy immediately if fingers get close to his mouth. And if the human drops the toy first, he'll jump around close to them until they grab it again. The fun is in the actual tugging, for him! I have never worried that playing tug will make him snappy or aggressive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.