Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yikes! Its been a while. Quill broke my laptop, so pictures have been difficult to upload. :p

Quill is now roughly 60-65 lbs at just over 6 months. He's got a mouth full of adult teeth (no more chipped canine!) and is finally starting to become ever so slightly less excitable. We had a great day at Petco today. He was quite and calm almost the entire time. He got a water buffalo horn as a treat for being such a good boy! We've started having more frequent puppy play dates with his friend Roscoe, a GSD x Malamute x Collie cross. They LOVE playing together. Both super vocal and energetic haha.

Quill also continues to love the snow. He chases snowflakes, barking at the sky to try to make it snow more. Its both ridiculously cute and obnoxious at the same time!

So, here are some photos. The first set are from the end of December (about 4 1/2 to 5 months old) and the second set are from today. The big golden pup is Roscoe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Oh my gosh, Quill got so big! What a gorgeous puppy :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
He's so cute!! His ears are amazing.

Also, his buddy Roscoe is handsome, too!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wow he is definitely not the puppy I remember seeing Lol! He grew so fast and is HUGE for still being so young.
He is getting so handsome, we need to see much more of him ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks everyone! I keep looking at him and thinking, "Wait, what?" I mean I know puppies grow...but its so hard to wrap my head around that he's the size of a normal dog now!

We're thinking he'll end up 90-100 lbs. Not 100% sure since he seems to be getting his size from his grandparents (mom and dad weren't that big...about 65 lbs and 75-80 lbs), but based on his current size and his giant paws I would say at least 90!

And someday he'll grow into his ears. Maybe!

I'll try for more updates now that my BF's computer is working and spring is around the corner! We're hoping to do a very easy backpacking trip in the spring (not much uphill, and not too long). And in the summer he'll be in Wyoming working with me in the sagebrush, so I promise lots of pictures then! All in all, I'm still so impressed with him. We get a lot of "why don't you take him to obedience school?!" because of how vocal he is, but I always quiet those people down when I show them that although he is barking in excitement, I can make him sit, lie down, stay, focus, etc. He just happens to bark excitedly in new situations, which he IS getting better about! Its just a long, slow process as he learns that he can redirect that energy and get more attention by lying down and being a good, quiet dog! And unfortunately as he's getting bigger, it startles people more than being cute like it was when he was 20 lbs haha. But someday!

·
Registered
296 Posts
And someday he'll grow into his ears. Maybe!

We get a lot of "why don't you take him to obedience school?!" because of how vocal he is, but I always quiet those people down when I show them that although he is barking in excitement, I can make him sit, lie down, stay, focus, etc. He just happens to bark excitedly in new situations, which he IS getting better about! Its just a long, slow process as he learns that he can redirect that energy and get more attention by lying down and being a good, quiet dog! And unfortunately as he's getting bigger, it startles people more than being cute like it was when he was 20 lbs haha. But someday!
This sounds a lot like Hero, as in, you just perfectly described my dog lol. Honestly, I think they just love to talk about stuff haha! Too bad big dogs barking scares other people :p

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
He is so handsome! Already looking like a grown up!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Beautiful! It's amazing how much more adult he looks between the first set and the current pics.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks everyone!

I still can't get over how adult he looks, either. It's like one day I just woke up and my puppy was a dog! Well, a dog with a puppy attitude. Thankfully he's *mostly* stopped chewing on us, though. We went on a trip for ten days, and upon returning home I'm 99% certain Quill grew another 10 lbs! Sadly my scale doesn't really work and he's a small horse now, so we won't know until I get a new scale. Either way, he's definitely going to be a big, solid boy when he's done growing.

Tomorrow will be Quill's 7 month birthday. So, a few pictures in honor. These are from yesterday, and I'll try to get more tomorrow! While we were on our trip, he stayed with his trainer and her husband and even they had great things to say about him! They said the only things were his resource guarding and excitability...both things I've always said are his biggest issues and both things I see him improving on everyday.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts