Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Montana is a pretty spectacular place to live, if I do say so myself! I'm so excited to have a dog to share my camping, hiking, fishing, etc adventures with. Plus I work outdoors in the summers, so it will be great to have him with all summer long. They really are perfect for what I wanted in a dog. :) It sounds like your pup has been great for your adventures though, too!

Not sure where you're located, but there are Wyoming Mountain Dog breeders on the east coast, in Colorado, and in Wyoming right now. One of Quill's siblings is headed to New York and another to California!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys! :) I found out today his ears popped up earlier than it seems a lot of dogs (based on my small sample and his siblings!). Guess those ears were destined to be big and adorable.

He went to puppy playime today and found a couple of GSD to play with. He and this 11 week old GSD female were lying next to each other just licking each other. He was so shy at first, but SO excited by all the new people...go figure, I pay for him to play with puppies and he plays with the humans instead. By the end he was warming up though. We took him to an area for younger, more shy dogs and after watching for awhile he was trying to play! I think with a few more visits he'll warm up.

His vocal side really came out though. I had to explain to everyone he is just a vocal dog, and that this is just what he does. He was yelling about it when we first got there, yelling whenever someone left, and in one case there was this little heeler pup who was barking at the other puppies and Quill thought she was just doing what he does, so he started making his little yell/bark/growl thing he does when he is excited and annoyed her...apparently its all fun and games until she finds another puppy willing to bark back. Poor Quill thought she was just as chatty as him and wanted to talk!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's been a while! Our weather has been miserable, so I haven't been taking the camera with me. But today it was nice out, so Quill and I did some training in the backyard. It was short lived since his attention span rivals that of a flea, but I got a couple of photos. He is 14 weeks this week, and last week at the vet weighed almost 25 lbs. He's all legs right now, and I can't wait to see how tall he's going to be!

There is a GSD pup at puppy playtime that is almost the same age as Quill and they just LOVE playing together. Seeing Quill next to him (he weighs about the same/a little more than Quill) always makes me realize just how much of Quill is legs.

"Is it still staying if just my head moves closer to you, mom?"

"Okay, I'll look cute and innocent for this one!"

His self control is getting really good!

·
Registered
646 Posts
He's so cute! I love the second picture; he's perfected the "innocent" face that's for sure!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
He's so cute! I love the second picture; he's perfected the "innocent" face that's for sure!
He really has haha! He's too smart. He'll bring a chew toy over and lay on you, then "accidentally" bite you to try and play with you. It is hard to get mad when he looks at you with a face that says, "What? I'm just chewing on this thing here that I'm supposed to be chewing on! It was YOUR foot that got in the way! But now that I have your attention, LET'S PLAY!"

He is adorable, and getting so big! They're really like weeds, aren't they? They seem a bit bigger every day.
They are! I can't believe he's already 25 lbs. Before we know it, they will be big dogs! I'm excited by the idea, and saddened haha.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was fawning over his photo in your signature and it's great to see all these photos! Definitely keep us updated as he grows up!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks everyone! I know, I always say he is all legs and ears. :D Someday the rest of him will fit those body parts haha.

And I definitely will keep you posted. I love taking pictures every couple of weeks and comparing side by side. It is so crazy how quickly he is growing, and how much he looks like a big dog now.

I really can't wait for his first (real) snow. We had a light dusting a week or so ago, and he was quite enjoying sniffing around in it and trying to catch it when we kicked it up. It will be fun when it really snows and he can play in it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quill's first snow! Warning...mass amounts of photos because his reactions in the snow are priceless. :D

He is a bit of a loud mouth...

No stick is too big for him.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Oh my gosh, he's absolutely adorable! I had no idea that he wasn't a German Shepherd puppy, since I had only glanced at him in your signature. So cute! The breed sounds like it produces amazing dogs. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you! Yes, he definitely looks mostly GSD! I get a lot of people who think GSD, but say it with a question when asking and a lot of people who guess part husky/malamute.

They really are great dogs! I'm definitely impressed by Quill so far and can't wait to start our real backpacking and hiking adventures!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Eeek, he is so cute. I'm loving seeing him grow up, and I can't wait to see more of him.

Your scenery is so gorgeous. I've *always* found places like Wyoming so beautiful, especially when fall rolls around.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks! I still look at him and go, "wait what? he looks like a DOG!?" It is crazy how quickly they grow!

And thank you! Wyoming and Montana both have such lovely scenery...I'm not sure I could live anywhere without mountains now!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Awe! He's so cute! I can't wait for Panzer's first snow either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's so much fun seeing their reactions to it! Sadly our first snow was followed by a terrible cold snap, so Quill didn't get much outside time. Now it is warming up though, so he's having a blast racing around and eating snow on our walks. Silly pup!

I can't wait to see Panzer's first snow pictures. ;)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts