Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about bringing Honey to a garden party at my friend's house this weekend, but dogs aren't allowed indoors (everyone will be outside anyway, so it's not as if she'll be starved of attention). I want to respect the house rules, but the doors to the house will all be open, giving her ample opportunity to wander in.

My question: What's a very fast and effective way to teach physical boundaries? I can't remember how we taught Spunky and Honey which rooms they weren't allowed in; it's like after awhile they just knew. Took awhile, though, and I don't have that kind of time on Saturday. I know I could go with negative reinforcement, maybe a citrus or vanilla extract spray, or a can of pennies, but as this is one of the rare times Honey goes out without Spunky and I'm trying to build her confidence alone, I'd rather nothing traumatic happen.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd opt for leashing or crating the dogs. A garden party is not a good environment for learning or teaching for a behavior that can easily be managed instead.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If it were my dog, and it were an outdoor party, I would keep him on a lead; I don't like letting my own dog wander about at anyone's home, especially if there is the risk that he may wind up inside, where he shouldn't be. For parties\gatherings in which he will be inside, I also keep him on a leash, and bring his travel crate in, so he can lay down in a familiar environment. For me personally, it's just plain rude to go to someone's home and simply let the dog 'own' the place...I don't like when other people come in and let their dogs run rampent around my home, so why would I do it to someone else?

If you are taking her to build her confidence, she should be next to you anyway...you ARE her confidence builder, and if she is simply allowed to wander, she may just go hide anyway...keep her on a lead, that way you know she's getting the socialization she needs, and is being monitered and kept where she needs to be at all times.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rudeness isn't an issue, really... she's very welcome to "own" the yard as much as she likes :p as it's just going to be me, my boyfriend (the host) and a couple of other very close friends. I did want to give her a chance to run around and explore a little, though, since she's never been offleash outside my house before (no fenced parks or dog runs), and it'll be her 9th birthday that day (sob! my baby!).

I do agree that I would rather not have to teach her the behaviour there and then, though. What I'll probably do is let her run offleash as long as the doors are closed; once they're open, I'll leash her to me so she doesn't get indoors, or crate her with a bone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts