Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is about an issue my mother has with her dogs.

She's got three female dogs; an English cocker spaniel and two small mutts who appear to be chihuahua/yorkshire mixes of some sort. They are really small. Honestly, one of the smallest dogs I've ever seen in real life. Sometimes I wonder whether they're dogs at all :p

So my mother is going on vacation to Austria this summer with the family, and the two smallest girls are going with them. The cocker and the cat will stay at home with someone to look after them and the house.

Now, it's fairly easy to travel with pets within European countries, but it's mandatory for them to be microchipped and be up to date on shots. The two dogs have had all their shots, and will be microchipped soon. But my mom's worried.

The smallest of the two, Sascha, is a very frail little dog, although she's healthy. She had a lot of trouble with the shots she got about a month ago now (yelping bloody murder when she got them), and she actually got sick from them, diarrhea, not eating or drinking, barely walking around and when she did walk, seemed like she was in a lot of pain. She also lost weight in the period she was sick, about 0,5 lbs.

Considering she weighed less than 4 lbs, that's a lot. She was already frail, but after her sickness she was skin and bones (with hair). The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her though.

At this time, she has gained some weight and is almost back on her previous weight, almost 4 lbs.

But my mother is worried. If she handled just having some shots that bad, how will she handle microchipping? The biggest points of concern she has are:

- BIG needle. She's afraid the vet will stab wrong and injure her.
- the microchip. She's afraid it's too big for such a small dog.

I don't have any experience with microchipping, because all the dogs I've ever had were already chipped when I got them.

So I'd like your opinion! Anyone have experience/wisdom to share? Something to put my mom at ease? Or do you share her concern?

Ps. These are the two. Sascha is the blond one, she weighs less than 4 lbs and is 7,5 inches tall. Kyra is the black one, she weighs about 5,5 lbs and is 8,5 inches tall. They are full sisters of unknown heritage. They're almost three years old.
2012-03-30 14.48.16.jpg 2012-03-30 15.03.32.jpg 2012-03-30 15.04.31.jpg
2012-03-30 14.48.13.jpg 2012-03-30 14.48.23.jpg 2012-03-30 15.03.36.jpg

Pps. Hmm, not really a quick question. Sorry for the long story. Also, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I was in dubio about where to post it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some people have their ferrets (1-3 pounds) microchipped. Or kittens. So I don't think the size will be an issue. She'll probably freak out about being injected if she's such a drama queen, but she shouldn't get sick because microchips don't cause an immune response like vaccines do. Tons of dogs (especially small ones) have bad vaccine reactions, but don't react to non-vaccine injections.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I agree with the other poster. No reaction to the chip. Vaccines can cause reactions...chips don't. She will probably scream, as some dogs are drama queens. I have a shep/boxer mix that starts screaming even before the needle goes in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts