Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys so I got Teagan on saturday. She is amazing and such a sweetheart, but I have a question?

I have been keeping her awake intill I go to bed which is usually 11-12, but she gets tons of naps durning the day. So hopefully eventually she will sleep throughout the night, now she has been whinning at 2 in the morning the first night she was at my place. I know she is proble scared and confused so whinning is to be expected, but I ignored it. should I go to her or just keep ignoring her. Now I was thinking maybe when she whines in the middle of the night I should take her outside to pee, but I dont want her thinking that when she whines she gets attention.

The second night she whinned at 5 30, which I took her outside to pee. PLayed with her a bit then put her in her pen, she whinned a bit but whent back to sleep and so did I. Then she woke up at 8 30 which I took her outside again and then stayed up with her.

Now the question is should I be taking her outside when she starts whinning in the middle of the night, or just ignore it.

Thanks guys Hayley:D

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Then she likely has to pee in the middle of the night. I'd take her outside, let her do her thing, then put her back into the crate. No playtime, nothing. Strictly a business trip. If she whines after you put her back in, ignore her. The dog will learn that waking up to do your business is fine, but playtime is not gonna happen at 2 am.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take her outside to go potty. Puppies that young sometimes need to go every 3 hours or so as their bladder can't hold it for very long. Like hulk said if after you take her potty she continues to whine in her kennel ignore it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
When I have a pup that age, I take him out at least twice as often as seems reasonable. If pup squeaks in the middle of the night, he goes outside. That's just me though. I prefer to front-load the misery in the first few months rather than deal with puddles and piles later on.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Yep, I agree, take her out but to potty only...no playing, etc. She will get used to it and settle down. Soon she will be able to hold it all night...woohoo!

The dog will learn that waking up to do your business is fine, but playtime is not gonna happen at 2 am.
And this is why I love my doggie door...no 2 am or even 6 am (on weekends)!! ;)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Yep, I agree, take her out but to potty only...no playing, etc. She will get used to it and settle down. Soon she will be able to hold it all night...woohoo!

And this is why I love my doggie door...no 2 am or even 6 am (on weekends)!! ;)
I really, really want a doggy door, but I have french doors on my house so it wouldn't work. I have considered cutting through an exterior wall, but I don't want to potentially hurt my home's resale value.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have considered cutting through an exterior wall, but I don't want to potentially hurt my home's resale value.
It's reasonably easy to repair a hole in a wall.........but you have to decide if you want your dogs running in and out of the dog door with muddy paws! Or dragging dead birds inside, or whatever they can think of. Lots of reasons I wouldn't want a doggy door that goes into my house. I do have one in the garage wall.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yes, she probably has to go potty. 2 and 5:30 sound about right to take her out to empty her small bladder that she doesn't really know how to hold yet.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
It's reasonably easy to repair a hole in a wall.........but you have to decide if you want your dogs running in and out of the dog door with muddy paws! Or dragging dead birds inside, or whatever they can think of. Lots of reasons I wouldn't want a doggy door that goes into my house. I do have one in the garage wall.
Well, I do get muddy paw prints in the kitchen, but it's easy to clean. Oh, and Mortimer has started bringing me presents, now that he is slim and trim! Pretty yucky most times, but it's a small price to pay for them to have easy access to the outside and for me to not have to get up to let them out...yep, I'm lazy! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts