Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've been working on my dogs pulling behavior on leash, stopping when he's pulling walking when the leash is loose. and its been working after 50/50 so far but we just started so I'm feeling good about that.

My question is, what about when I want him to go ahead and sniff around a little bit, take a pee or have fun exploring. When I let him do this All the progress we made earlier on the walk goes out the window and we seem to start at square 1. Should I not let him explore until he's fully trained ? or is it ok to let him do this on our walks ?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sure you can let him explore... but only on a loose leash. He wants to go over and sniff that tree? Sure he can, IF he walks there on a loose leash. The minute he starts tugging towards that tree, you stop again, or walk in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Practice around your home, in your driveway or even inside with commands. I would have a command for walking by your side (like "heel" or "let's walk") and a command for free exploration (like "okay" or "release"). That way he can learn what each one means and there won't be any question about which "mode" he's in. Working at home, you can use treats for the heel part of the walk, so his focus in on you, and then spread some treats around on the floor or yard for the release part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.