Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the sticky (Greeting Politely At The Door) and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a question that I have about door training.

My dog barks when people walk up the steps to our house. My family likes it because she warns us about anybody coming up to the house (she actually scared off a would-be home intruder about a week ago which is why my question is really important) which is great if we're upstairs, downstairs, vacuuming, etc etc.

If I do the training as suggested in the "Greeting Politely..." thread, will she stop barking when people walk up the steps? My main goal with the door training is for us to be able to open the door without her barking non-stop. The pizza delivery guy is terrified of our dog, as are other people who come to the door.

My dog is 3.5 years old, if that matters.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
It likely will not treat the alarm barking - that isn't the target behavior. If the pizza guy is bothered by any continuation barking, I'd add a step to the training - a go-inside-your-crate cue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I didn't think it would, but ever since the possible attempt at a break-in (yes, I know it was just a week ago but we had been discussing this training for awhile) my family just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't change that. I also want to make sure that everybody in my family is on the same page with the training so the more I know the better. I'm hoping to start the training Thursday.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It didn't stop the alarm barking with Muggsy. You're only changing the behavior from the point you go to the door. The alarm barking happens before that. I know what you mean, btw, I liked that Muggsy barked when people came to the door because we can't hear the doorbell from the basement, so Muggsy's barking was nice.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I prefer a verbal "good dog" then moving dog a few steps from door then a down stay where dog can see door and whoever is at door can also see dog. Can be started with friends and continued with all. It's my paranoid nature.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I prefer a verbal "good dog" then moving dog a few steps from door then a down stay where dog can see door and whoever is at door can also see dog. Can be started with friends and continued with all. It's my paranoid nature.
Mine is the only house on the block the Jehovah's Witnesses don't visit . . .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, this has all been very reassuring. I've already got 2 people lined up to help me out. Trying to get a few more so I don't tie somebody up for as long as we need to do the training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts