Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a lovely Half Viszla mix, female, called Honey.
She sees me as the pack leader, and I have no issues with the dog at all.
Lovely walks, and well behaved.

Now, my wife takes the dog for a walk these past few weeks and the dog barks viciously at people and lunges at them to bite them. Luckily my wife stops Honey.
But the fact is, it only happens to her.

Can someone give some advise about what can cause this, and maybe how to halt it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your dog simply does not respect your wife as a pack leader. As you have said you are and as such does not recognise your wife as one. I have experience of dog aggression, dog-on-dog and against people. 10 years of behavioural training and in all the dogs I have seen with these problems it is usually because one partner is more dominant than the other and the dog does not feel as if that other person is 'dominant' enough to make decisions on a walk. It does not show so much in the house as that's your domain. The test would be to walk out with your partner and see if the same behaviour arises. If not, it is clearly your influence if you step back from your wife and watch and the dog misbehaves then you have your answer.

The trouble is if your partner is holding the lead you will have misbehaviours until your partner takes calm assertive control on the walks as well as the house. The dog needs to see your partner elevated to the same status as you. It may require your partner going to behavioural training with the dog in question. If not you will end up with only you walking the dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious as to what methods used to get the dominant influence that the dog recognizes and how old is dog.
The dog is 2 years old.
She did go for a woman on one of my walks, but I have to say in her defence that the woman is 'crazy' (literally) and often stands below our balcony and taunts Honey.
Otherwise, I always have Honey to the side or behind when approaching people she doesn't know, and if she looks a little timid, I stand next to the person, ask her to come and stroke her as the other person does, reaffirming that she is a Good Dog.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
There is no "pack leader" or "alpha". That stuff has been disproven for years. Below is some information on it.

You need to understand that your dog is not trying to dominate you and everything the user 'Rotti' said is utter crap. Dogs do everything for a reason and never is it to try and dominate you because dogs do not work on a 'pack system' of 'dominance' with humans. Wolves don't even do that.

Your wife must be doing something completely different from what you're doing on walks or encountering different situations.
And, if your dog is timid, forcing her to interact with people she fears is going to get someone bitten.

De-Buking The Mythical "Alpha Dog"
Dominance Statement
Misconceptions of the Mythical "Alpha Dog"
Dave Mech's Wolf Study

This is a link to a video done by a successful, positive trainer on "being the alpha"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErndDMpICRc

Here's one linking to a video done by David Mech, the person who coined the term "alpha" explaining how wolves actually work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtFgdwTsbU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hollow-heaven each one to their own and each to an opinion. This forum is for an exchange of ideas and options offered for whomever wishes to peruse. There are multiple behavioural theories for dogs as I have studied for 20 years and practised for 10. As a phd student and working successfully with over 50 dogs and rescued those most aggressive.

This is a forum and as such a platform for discussion and as such will not or will ever discredit or put down an opinion. It is up to the owner which sounds right and which way they wish to train their dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
What is your phd in? And if you are an expert then why don't you accept that the dominance theory has been scientifcally disproven and can even be harmful to dogs? Dogs don't submit, they become fearful of you.

·
Super Moderator
7,335 Posts
Hollow-heaven each one to their own and each to an opinion. This forum is for an exchange of ideas and options offered for whomever wishes to peruse. There are multiple behavioural theories for dogs as I have studied for 20 years and practised for 10. As a phd student and working successfully with over 50 dogs and rescued those most aggressive.

This is a forum and as such a platform for discussion and as such will not or will ever discredit or put down an opinion. It is up to the owner which sounds right and which way they wish to train their dog.
This is also a forum in which backseat moderating is not permitted. Only the moderators may dictate what another poster may post, or what this forum is for. I suggest during your timeout, you take some time to brush up on the forum rules.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
There is no "pack leader" or "alpha". That stuff has been disproven for years. Below is some information on it.

You need to understand that your dog is not trying to dominate you and everything the user 'Rotti' said is utter crap. Dogs do everything for a reason and never is it to try and dominate you because dogs do not work on a 'pack system' of 'dominance' with humans. Wolves don't even do that.

Your wife must be doing something completely different from what you're doing on walks or encountering different situations.
And, if your dog is timid, forcing her to interact with people she fears is going to get someone bitten.

De-Buking The Mythical "Alpha Dog"
Dominance Statement
Misconceptions of the Mythical "Alpha Dog"
Dave Mech's Wolf Study

This is a link to a video done by a successful, positive trainer on "being the alpha"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErndDMpICRc

Here's one linking to a video done by David Mech, the person who coined the term "alpha" explaining how wolves actually work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtFgdwTsbU
I was gonna jump on and defend your reply (not that it needed defense) but saw that Rotti had been moved off DF.

He/she had used the "dominant" word more in one reply than I had in 50 yrs of training.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts