Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the forums and was just wondering if anyone could help me with a quick dog allergy question....

I have a cockapoo, and lately hes has been getting a LOT of skin rashes - and tonight she got welts. We just changed her dog food to 'Canidae' and gave her some yesterday and last night and this morning my mom said she looked and her skin wasn't bad. And then tonight she had a big rash and welts - which she has NEVER had welts before.

We originally was feeding her Kibbles and Bits and then moved her to this new dog food "Canidae" and while we were at the feed store this lady gave us samples and one brand was "California Natural" which we fed to her because she said it goes well with skin allergies. And then this morning she looked fine - and then tonight we looked and she had the rash and the welts. We give her benadryl but we want to STOP the rash and the welts before it happens. But we don't know what to do. The "Canidae" is supposed to work well with dogs with skin allergies" Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
The "Canidae" is supposed to work well with dogs with skin allergies"
It's not that simple.

Assuming it IS a food allergy, what food will be good will depend on the specific allergy. Grain allergies are pretty common, so you might try a grain-free food, like Taste of the Wild.

Sadly, dogs can be sensitive to specific meat sources, like beef or chicken, so you'll see meats with lower exposure, like bison and duck.

Ultimately, you'll probably need some help from a good vet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it is the food, it can take many different trials to find out the allergy. With one of my dogs, we tried 5 different foods before we found some that worked.

Are you sure it is tied to food? Could he be getting into something outside during the day (rolling around on grass, plants, etc)? I have also heard of dogs having allergies to detergent and fabric softener.

The vet might be able to help you pinpoint his allergy. He can even get allergy shots. I had a dog that needed them once (she was allergic to grass pollen and would literally pull out her hair) and allergy shots stopped that.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dogs can be allergic to even the best food. You just have to find what works best for YOUR dog. Avoiding corn, wheat, soy, and food coloring is basic, but you might have to go beyond that. The California Natural formulas are good in that they have several one protein-one grain foods, so that makes it easier to do an elimination trial. There are other limited-ingredient foods, too.

That being said, a skin rash and welts are usually not how a food allergy shows up, IME. I would suspect something in the environment, like carpet powder, laundry detergent, etc. or, unfortunately, something hard to avoid like grass. You can do elimination trials on your own, but a vet specializing in allergies would be very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts