Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for about a week now been taking my German shepherd on about hour walk a day and for the most part she is picking up everything well. getting auto sit down, she doesnt pull me anymore (most of the time) but issue im having is that she barks was we pass ppl and specially if they have a dog and her fur on her neck pops up. i dont think she gets agressive its more like she gets really anxious. her barks are sometime more of a high pitch yelp.

she doesnt have problems other places, i have had lots of ppl around her at home and in classes and she gets excited but never agressive or this type of anxiousness. so my question is

1. what can i do to fix this? want to beable to take her on walks with out having to worry about other ppl safty.

2. is talking a spray bottle with me on the walk ok to use? like i spray her in the each time i see her about to get to that point and she will stop but sometime it take few sprays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ya i don't think she is being aggressive i dont think she would hurt anyone if she somehow got away from me but it is a german shepherd and i dont want her to scare ppl.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe you could try to desensitize your pup? Put the pup in a sit/stay and have her focus on you while people walk by...? Casey used to get so excited at seeing other people/dogs, he would pull and jump around and bark. Now on walks we put him in a sit/stay and have him focus on us (and a treat!), while the people walk past. He now will stay sitting while people walk by...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're getting too close. Stop at the distance where she first shows a small sign of arousal....well before the hackles go up and she starts barking. That's where you start the training by stepping between her and the distraction. Ask for a sit and attention on you....praise and reward calmness.
Note the distance at which you stopped...if it was 50 yards, next time do the same thing at 40 yards, then 30, etc.
The key move is getting between her and the distraction...let her know that you will handle it. She'll start looking to you for her cues instead of focusing on the distraction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so how do i best do this? focus on a treat and or get in front of the distraction because i do both, or i have been. i tell her to sit/stay then i use a treat to try to keep her focus on me, but soon as she either hears/see the ppl she starts to lose it. i try to contain her or keep her focused on me but once it hits that point its really hard. ill have her sit/stay prob about 40 to 50 yrds away and she will do good in till they get about 10 feet away and then she sees or hears them and once its at that points its a fight to keep her under control.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This behavior/response to distractions (other dogs) can take months of conditioning. You're trying to accomplish several goals...calmness; attention on you and an attitude change (good things happen when other dogs come around...treats/praise).
Don't rush this by moving closer than what she's ready for....you'll set back her training progress.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How about walking her with some of those other dogs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so notice i spellt behave wrong sorry about that im a terrible speller.

anyways tried something last night that worked great but want to know if it will work or if im just going to be rewarding bad behavior. but when we was on our walk ever time she looked up at me while we was walking i gave her a treat, then once she started looking at me often i would give her treat every other time, then every three times and so on. by end of walk she was just looking at me every 10 or so seconds. But when we passed ppl/dogs i would give her treat every time she looked at me and she didnt bark or try to run to them. her fur still stuck up but she didnt freak out. but little affraid that i may be rewarding her for getting anxious so wondering will this work to train her to behave around ppl/dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts