Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wasn't there a thread on here about questions you should ask a breeder? I did search and I can't find it?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I see a thread in the sticky section that has a list of questions in there for a specific breed. Here's one for Weimaraners and I'm attaching (I hope) the one I made up to ask GSD breeders when I was looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tons. A friend of mine is looking into getting a small breed dog and I'm helping her out. She is not Dog savvy at all, and I fear without my help she'll be doped into buying the first cute ball of backyard bred crap she sees.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You're doing a great thing. :)

Is she looking at a particular breed or just a small dog? Because you could look up the health issues of a particular breed and see what particular tests should be done. Because a lot of breeders will say, "Yes, They're tested" just to put people at ease, considering a vet visit a 'test", but if you ask for a particular test result by name, then you know better what you're getting into.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Keechak - just DO NOT LET HER VISIT A BREEDER UNTIL YOU KNOW THEY"RE GOOD. Toy breed puppies are well-nigh irresistable. :p

What breed is she looking for? Maybe someone on here has a referral for you. :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well as of right now here is what she has told me

She wants to be able to pick out a puppy from a litter and dosn't want to go through the time it might take to find a toy breed litter in a shelter so she wants to go to a breeder.

She wants low shedding, not too stubborn of a personality, not a terrier because she has birds, and she is not particularly fond of smushy faces. She dosn't mind having to bring the dog to a groomer eather. She wants a dog that will be anywhere from 10-30 pounds.

She has recintly fallen in love with a "schnoodle" puppy she saw and she wants one just like it, she got the name of that puppies breeder from it's owner and she gave the website to me to look over. '

I am not aginst her buying a mutt but I expect a mutt breeder to be as ethical and consientious of the dog over population problem as a purebred breeder.

There is no way of insisting to my friend that she get a purebred and she's not going to rescue, so I'm just trying to help as best I can with what I'm givin.

I will be e-mailing this "schnoodle" breeder with some of thoughs questions you provided me.

my thoughts are, She's going to get a dog with or without my help. At least I can try and steer her toward someone I find ethical, rather than her going to the lowest of the low scum that sell puppies.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your friend know that schoondles are part terrier? Something you may want to point out.
Yes I am trying to steer her away from a "schnoodle" right now simply because I know the challenge it will be to find an ethical breeder of one of those. She doesn't have her heart set on a breed and she seemed a little disheartened when my other friend mentioned to her that it will be near imposable to find a mix breed puppy that looks exactly like the one she saw.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The "Schoondle" might be cute but there's a good chance it'll also be hunting her bird/s. The Schnauzer part is a terrier, which she's already indicated she doesn't want. And Poodles were originally bred to retrieve birds (many will still do or attempt to do that job). Has she thought about something such as a Tibetan Terrier (they are not actually terriers) or Tibetan Spaniel (again, not actually spaniels) or possibly a Sheltie or even a Bichon?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well shelties shed too much for her and ibetan spaniels would be too pricy for her. I will add the TT and Bichon to the list of breeds for her to look at

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Bichon would be a good suggestion if she like schnoodles. I believe there is some poodle in their development but I don't think they have high prey drive.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
To be honest, the TS breeder I know charges a very reasonable $600 for her pet quality pups - so I'd research that one. They're lovely little dogs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts