Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all, just want to see what some of you think. My wife and I, last year bought a toy poodle and hes about 10 months old and hes been the most docile little guy ever, and he doesnt seem to be changing at all when it comes to temperment, so heres the actual issue....

Last week we decided to add a another little one to the fam, and we bought from a family a little girl toy poodle, and shes about 9 weeks old now.

Now i realize this is still way early, but over the course of this week here what we observe is how she is starting to really get aggressive over her food for instance. But its not like a cute puppy thats grunting or weeping etc...its like a full blown snarl and strike at our older poodle, its very unsettling because its that we just are afraid for our older dog that hes gonna get kind of bullied as she grows if this continues, and it seems to me like this would only get worse...but we are no experts, its just very unlike to me what a 9week old puppy should be like, ive never really seen that.

Even when they are playing and he kind of bumps her the wrong way, she really goes after him and hes just confused i think because like i said hes so docile and just so happy go lucky and playful, it really just makes us concerned.

Is this just part of her being a female? Is this normal for some dogs and can this attitude so to speak, work its way out after some time?

She hasn done it to us yet, but if she wants something and im holding her and she starts to struggle a bit to get out of my hands, she will start it up but on a smaller scale, but you can tell shes getting VERY agitated.

I mean i know dogs arent always going to have the perfect temper, but is it normal this young, is this something we can just expect to be a norm and most likely get worse?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Heya all, just want to see what some of you think. My wife and I, last year bought a toy poodle and hes about 10 months old and hes been the most docile little guy ever, and he doesnt seem to be changing at all when it comes to temperment, so heres the actual issue....

Last week we decided to add a another little one to the fam, and we bought from a family a little girl toy poodle, and shes about 9 weeks old now.

Now i realize this is still way early, but over the course of this week here what we observe is how she is starting to really get aggressive over her food for instance. But its not like a cute puppy thats grunting or weeping etc...its like a full blown snarl and strike at our older poodle, its very unsettling because its that we just are afraid for our older dog that hes gonna get kind of bullied as she grows if this continues, and it seems to me like this would only get worse...but we are no experts, its just very unlike to me what a 9week old puppy should be like, ive never really seen that.

Even when they are playing and he kind of bumps her the wrong way, she really goes after him and hes just confused i think because like i said hes so docile and just so happy go lucky and playful, it really just makes us concerned.

Is this just part of her being a female? Is this normal for some dogs and can this attitude so to speak, work its way out after some time?

She hasn done it to us yet, but if she wants something and im holding her and she starts to struggle a bit to get out of my hands, she will start it up but on a smaller scale, but you can tell shes getting VERY agitated.

I mean i know dogs arent always going to have the perfect temper, but is it normal this young, is this something we can just expect to be a norm and most likely get worse?
Are they fed from the same bowl or is he just coming up to her bowl when she's eating? We have an extremely food aggressive dog in our house, and while we can't ever reverse this behavior, we can manage it. She is fed in the kitchen, separated by the gate, from the other dogs. When she is given her food, I make sure she knows that it is MY food and I'm sharing it with HER. I put her in a sit, and hand her a bit from the bowl. Then I ask her to "wait" and set her bowl down a few feet away. When I say OK, she may go eat. Since she is so young you can get a jump on correcting this behavior by hand feeding from the bowl and making her earn her food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea we are making sure to correct her with the growling.

See heres the thing, its just kind of like odd that this young though shes so very aggressive over eating know what i mean? Like i could see if she was maybe mistreated before or starving to death, abused etc...and kind of learned that to fend for herself, i kind of could see and understand the aggression.

But its like, from our standpoint its hard to just really wonder and think when shes barely been alive, only a handful of weeks and its like wow where does that come from at 9 weeks...and i think its all so fresh in our minds being our oldest was just such a sweetheart and just doesnt have one bit of aggression in his bones at all.

Its just weird i guess for us being its new, because i didnt think puppies this young were able to be THAT aggressive over food...especially when she walked away from the bowl, thats the thing too its not like shes digging in. She picked away at it, walked away and was done and there was just a tiny bit left so i let the other one finish a couple licks and over she ran and man just was PO'd at him for even lookin at the bowl heh, it just seems ....off a bit, i could see maybe if she was almost a year old and developed this i just think its kind of weird for a puppy thats like i said a few days over 9 weeks to be like that.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You don't treat or correct aggression with aggression. So I wouldn't even try the muzzle grab, there are certainly more options with a 9 week old pup.

I don't really think it's signs of problems to come but, you definitely need to extinguish the behavior.
You can immediately solve this problem by feeding them in their own space. Set them up on a schedule and make sure they can't bother each other while they eat. Free feeding can create resource guarding in some dogs so why not avoid it all together?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But i think its just the whole puppy factor thats got me kind of stuck, it just seems like this kind of trait would come about maybe within a 8mos to a year or as they get older.

She barely has her baby teeth in yet, thats how small she is still....she got a couple, and so its just like i said shes so young and small...and i realize up to a year or so is still considered a puppy and i think if this started around that time i may get it more....but you guys dont think its odd that a pup this young, very floppy on her feet and still barely with any baby teeth in, should have a little mean streak in her like this?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
See heres the thing, its just kind of like odd that this young though shes so very aggressive over eating know what i mean? Like i could see if she was maybe mistreated before or starving to death, abused etc...and kind of learned that to fend for herself, i kind of could see and understand the aggression.
Sometimes they can learn they have to fight for their food from their litter mates. They learn right from the get-go they need to shove each other out of the way to get milk, then when being weaned they need to shove each other to get to the food.

You may not have seen any hint of this behavior from your first dog when he was a pup because he was the only dog in the house.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yea we are making sure to correct her with the growling.

But its like, from our standpoint its hard to just really wonder and think when shes barely been alive, only a handful of weeks and its like wow where does that come from at 9 weeks...and i think its all so fresh in our minds being our oldest was just such a sweetheart and just doesnt have one bit of aggression in his bones at all.

Its just weird i guess for us being its new, because i didnt think puppies this young were able to be THAT aggressive over food...especially when she walked away from the bowl, thats the thing too its not like shes digging in. She picked away at it, walked away and was done and there was just a tiny bit left so i let the other one finish a couple licks and over she ran and man just was PO'd at him for even lookin at the bowl heh, it just seems ....off a bit, i could see maybe if she was almost a year old and developed this i just think its kind of weird for a puppy thats like i said a few days over 9 weeks to be like that.
How are you correcting the growling? Don't take the food away, because then you're making her think she has a reason to guard. I certainly wouldn't suggest muzzle grabbing, either, because like BoxMeIn said, treating aggressive behavior with aggressive correcting doesn't work, and you can run the risk of being bitten.

Resource guarding doesn't have to start with abuse or starvation. My mutt never had a reason to be food aggressive. She's lived a happy life with me since she was a pup and never had an issue, until she ran into a dog who WAS food aggressive and attacked her over a dropped treat. Ever since then she is NOT to be fed around other dogs. And some dogs are simply more possessive of their things. Smalls guards her food, Jonas guards his toys, and Jack just loves and shares with everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes they can learn they have to fight for their food from their litter mates. They learn right from the get-go they need to shove each other out of the way to get milk, then when being weaned they need to shove each other to get to the food.

You may not have seen any hint of this behavior from your first dog when he was a pup because he was the only dog in the house.

Interesting point...although he had 3 brothers in his litter. And she had only one little sister. So thats again the thing, he was 9weeks when we got him and he had 3 others to contend with.

Hes just so docile its amazing, its not like we take his food or anything from him but if we had too pick it up or if we had to take his bone or just whatever, he just looks at ya and is so cool with everything.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
lol ok so nobody else agrees with dominating your dog here i can tell. I believe in being dominant and am not afraid of being bitten. My dogs have never growled at me since so I use the method when confronted with a pup testing their boundaries. TO EACH THEIR OWN. gl OP with your pup
We get it. You use physical punishment with your dogs. If you "can tell", then you don't need to bring it up every chance you get and scoff over use advising otherwise. People are interested in helping the OP, not arguing with you. You can state your opinion without starting in on anyone else or pointing out that the other opinions disagree with yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh i wouldnt put a muzzle on her or even muzzle her mouth, we just give her a stern no and thats about it for now, like i said shes just so small theres hardly anything there. She weighs like 1.4 lbs, heres a picture btw

Mazie is her name.

The thing thats amazing is just shes the most innocent looking thing lol.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
funny you seem to be doing exactly what you said everytime i post somewhere. people ask for suggestions i give my opinion you give yours. you seem very consumed with arguing with me in every post.
That's funny, because in the thread I'm sure you're referring to, you made no mention of physical punishment and I asked you why you said not to praise a dog for doing as you've asked and that was hardly a less than amicable exchange. Other than that, I have not discussed or argued over any thing with you. No one in this thread even quoted you until you repeatedly stated "Hey no one agrees with me, but hey, to each their own! Even though I can tell you don't agree, I just want you to know I know that!"

I, however, am consumed by helping the OP with resource guarding, because I have a resource guarder. OP, again, I would simply suggest again feeding them in their own spaces (like their crates) so the guarding can't develop further and they do not hassle each other. Pick up both bowls when they're done. You do NOT want a food bowl brawl on your hands. Trust me. :p

Actually I meant your needing to argue with people because as i can recall you were arguing with the OP on the thread we are both thinking about. That is that so leave it at that
I'm leaving it at you can't comprehend what advice giving is, whether or not it agrees with others, and therefore everyone is arguing, even though you're asking for it. If this forum as an ignore option, I will happily put you on my list if you will grant me the same favor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts