·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY... so i'm planning to get a dog..

How much is shots for dogs?
is it expensive buying its food?
is it necessary to get a vet?
what are all the diseases a dog can develop?
what is a monthly price of caring for dogs?
do dogs really need to get shots?

PLEASE BE NICE--- I'M ASKING QUESTIONS TO SEE IF I SHOULD GET A DOG

·
Registered
395 Posts
First of all, yes. It is necessary for you to have a vet for your dog, and vets aren't cheap. Oftentimes, we'll spend $50 or more with one vet appointment, and when your pet gets sick... we went through $400 with my new puppy, who ended up passing away anyway due to a practically incurable condition. And it's also recommended that you spay/neuter your dog as well to prevent the various problems that can follow. Your dog should be vetted at least once a year...

Secondly, it all depends on the food you buy. Better quality food is generally a little pricier... but it makes a whole lot of a difference in your dog's health if you get the better food, like Canidae, Solid Gold, etc.

Thirdly... diseases? No one can cover the diseases a dog can get in one sitting. Preventative measures are the best of anything. A healthy dog is less likely to get sick, obviously.

The questions you now need to ask yourself are the following:
-Do I have time for a dog? Dogs require exercise, and no matter the breed, they still need it. You have to take time out of each day to walk your dog or play fetch. Plus, there's the time you have to spend feeding them, taking them out to the potty, training them not to soil inside... If you work most of the day, a dog is not the best pet you can get.
-Do I really have the money? Yearly vet bills, including possible emergencies, food, toys, bowls, beds, crates, tie-outs, kennels, dog boxes, leashes, collars, new shoes and pillows (because dogs sometimes don't know they're not supposed to chew them)... it's all part of the process. And dogs aren't cheap.
-Do I have the space? Dogs require space and cannot be crated or kenneled for the rest of their lives. Dogs with more energy (labs, gsd's, etc.) require open fields, big yards, and room to run. If you live in a city, smaller and less energetic dogs are obviously a much better choice. Either way, you'll need space.

I'd also suggest getting a dog from a rescue or shelter... and take your time about it, too. A bad match can only result in heartache and frustration.

...There's just too much to be said right now. What I suggest for you is to do your research, ask as many questions as possible, talk to vets, other dog owners, etc...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The cost of shots varies I think. We took Abby in for her first round of shots right away and the total of our visit for a couple of shots and the office fee was $80. One month later we got her second round the total was $115 for 3 shots, a fecal and the office fee. We just finished our last visit and that total was also over $100 for 3 shots including rabies and the office fee. I did opt to get the Lyme shot which is more expensive than the others at $30.

I think you can get the medications to do the shots yourself if you have a feed store near you. We did that when we lived in the country - we just gave the dogs the shots ourselves - it isn't hard just stick them in the scruff. That will save you some money - but you will still want a relationship with a vet to answer your other question. Vets do more than give shots - I think they are an invaluable source of info and support for your pets.

The food cost varies depending on the size of your pup and how much it eats. I feed my dogs Chicken Soup food that I get from the local feed store and although it is more expensive than the grocery store brands I don't feel like they are eating as much because there is more protein in this food versus the cheap food at the grocery store. I think I pay around $50 a month on food for my 2 dogs and 1 cat but I haven't really divided it out.

Dogs can get all sorts of diseases really. Some diseases are vaccinated for which is why the initial puppy shots are important. Others are genetic like cancer which you really can't do much to stop. I am sure someone more knowledgeable could be more help with this.

The cost of owning a pet can be very high depending on what might happen. You want to be able to provide adequate vet care for your pet if something serious or unexpected ever arises. You will also want to spay or neuter your pet and that can be a very expensive procedure unless you can find a low cost spay or neuter clinic in your area. I think there are lots of places that you can also get low cost vaccinations - you should do some research in your area.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not all vaccines are expensive, but you still have to pay for the vet visit too when you get them done. I can easily shell out $80 just to walk into the vets office before anything is done.

My dog came from a high quality reputable breeder (health tests, shows, etc), and eats one of the top rated foods out there. Yet, she has a chronic case of nail bed infections that have to be treated and the cause is yet to be determined. You just never know what may crop up when you get a dog.

Each vet visit for her condition includes an exam, scrape, diagnosis and meds. The average cost for each of these visits are about $160. My vet is great and will sometimes just give me a perscription without the exam, but still... I have had 5 of these such visits in the last year and a half. This isn't including routine yearly exams, yearly vaccines, monthly Heartguard and monthly Frontline Plus (both are about $30/month).

I also think it is very important to have a vet that knows your dog. My vet is great, and understands what is going on when I call and completely gives 100%. You don't want to just show up at a vet one day when something's wrong and have to have them run a bunch of costly tests because your dog has never been to a vet or had bloodwork, exams, shots, etc. Turns out costing more in the end that way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We got a puppy only a couple of months back from a shelter, so Im going to answer the questions i know about:

How much is shots for dogs?---the shelter had already given all the basic shots of parvo etc free of cost to the puppy. they had also spayed the puppy for free. the last round of shots we had to give by taking her to the vet and that cost us about $80.

is it expensive buying its food?--costs us around 40-50$ bucks/month

--Yes! though the first visit was free since she was a rescue puppy. (sweet idea, we thought)

what is a monthly price of caring for dogs?:
the initial investment of bed/bowls/crate/leash/ puppy classes is much higher. and then it becomes stable around 60-100 bucks. (till now). ((we also take her to puppy day care twice a week so that gets added)

do dogs really need to get shots?--yes..definitely!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Heartworm & flea meds average around $10/month each. I adopted, so my dog was already vaccinated/spayed/chipped when I got her.

There are a lot of hidden costs which I didn't factor in when I first made up my budget. Individually, each thing is pretty cheap, but it all adds up pretty quickly.

1. Urine cleanup kit - $250 - blacklight (to find hot spots), 1 gallon of enzymatic cleaner, chamois cloth, steam cleaner. I have carpeting, so it's a bit more expensive for me; she's housebroken, but she had some accidents while she was acclimating to her new home, and then again when she got stressed out from a particularly bad thunderstorm. It happens.

2. Treats - $50/month - I run through a $9 bag of Zuke's every week just from training, and also use the larger EVO and Northern biscuits for the Kong. Treats aren't just treats, but also training tools and toys; the cost adds up surprisingly quickly.

3. Toys - $100 initial, $15/month ongoing - they're individually cheap, but they wear out faster than you'd like, and you never know what the dog actually likes to play with.

4. Replacement items - $150 - this includes blankets, pillows, towels, etc. chewed up by my dog before she learned the rules. Your mileage may vary, but even a well-behaved adult dog (as mine is now) will have some missteps at the start. For a puppy, I'd expect to spend twice this amount.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How much is shots for dogs?
It varies by area. I think though around here for example you're looking at 16.00 for the least expensive but often up to 30.00. Then of course you're looking at the fee vets sometime charge just for seeing your dog in the first place. Which around here is 40.00-60.00

is it expensive buying its food?
Depends on the size of the dog and what you're feeding. Small dogs cost less to feed.

Absolutely 100%. Your dogs life depends on it. A dog needs to be taken in for yearly check-ups, shots and you need to have someone who knows your dog in case of emergencies. On this subject you may want an emergency fund for your dog. Some people save more than others but for example an incident with ibuprofen poisoning just cost me 2000.00 because Max had to spend 4 days at the e-vet on fluids.

what are all the diseases a dog can develop?
There are at least as many dog diseases as human diseases I'd wager and just like in humans they vary in severity from mere annoyances to lethal. Dogs do seem more prone to picking up parasites though so you have to keep them on preventative medications including topical flea treatments and heartworm preventative. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than treating a problem after it comes up and is part of responsible dog ownership. As with food it's cheaper to get meds for small dogs than large ones.

what is a monthly price of caring for dogs?
It varies from owner to owner and dog to dog. Search cost of dog ownership on this forum and you'll find some threads on this very topic. I'd say though for me: 30.00 a month on food, About 7.00 a month for dental chews, around 10.00 dollars on treats depending on what I buy, probably around 10.00-15.00 (I haven't figured out the exact per month cost) on medication. Every 6 weeks or so I take Max to get groomed this costs around 45.00 per visit. Some months I may spend 20.00 extra for replacement supplies as needed. This can be toys, blankets, collars, leashes, cleaning supplies anything you can think of. Some months there are no extras. Some months there are a lot. It just depends on the month and my finances. Dogs are not for the faint-of-pocketbook however. When you get a dog you can expect to make changes in your spending habits and lifestyle. For example I go out to eat less. And instead of getting myself new clothes I may buy Max a new collar or toy (and sometimes he needs it, sometimes it's just because I want to). For me it's totally worth it.

do dogs really need to get shots?
There are some debates about over-vaccination but there are some shots that are not negotiable. Rabies shots for example are a must. Shots for puppies and young dogs are a must. If you plan on boarding your dog you must get the bordatella shot. You should talk with your vet about this and do some serious research before you would choose to forgoe a vaccine. It's generally in the dog's best interest.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I posted this as a new thread, but I'll repost it here...

Why do people buy dogs without educating themselves?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who buys/adopts a dog without doing their homework first is a fool.

1. The first thing any novice needs to know is this: Dogs are work. LOTS of work. And they're expensive.

2. A dog is NOT a fashion accessory.

3. You have to spend hours every day training them. You have to train them not to pee and poop inside. You have to train them how to walk on a leash. You have to train them not to nip or bite people. You have to socialize them - that means getting out and meeting other dogs and people. This is NOT easy. And sometimes, it isn't fun. Its repetitive and boring. But its necessary.

4. You can't go away for the night without making sure someone will be feeding and walking the dog.

5. If you go away for a vacation, the dog must be cared for - and that can cost BIG bucks.

6. The dog must be fed. Some dogs eat alot. Some dogs, not so much. But they have to be fed DOG FOOD. Not people food.

7. The dog must be taken for vaccinations. And regular Vet visits. And be spayed or neutered.

8. Some breeds are prone to certain diseases. Do your homework and research the breed so you're prepared.

9. Dogs must be groomed. Even a dog with a super-short coat needs a regular bath. And his/her nails trimmed, and anal glands expressed. This costs money.

10. Dogs WILL PEE AND POOP on your floor. No matter how well trained they are.

11. A dog will probably eat your favorite pair of shoes.

12. A dog needs to be walked. In the rain., In the snow. In an ice storm. And they need to be walked OFTEN. Every few hours is best for an adult. Every hour for a puppy in training. If you don't, see item # 10.

Do the world and any poor animal you might buy or adopt a favor - if you don't have a clue, don't get a dog.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think that's a little harsh. I think the person came on this forum in the hopes of educating him/herself. I agree you need to research before you adopt a dog but I think we shouldn't lecture a person for asking questions.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Maxs Human -

If I honestly thought that the OP was trying to educate them selves, I wouldn't have posted the above.

I lurk here a lot, and I guess I'm tired of reading about people who plunge headlong into dog ownership without really (and I mean really) doing their homework. Asking vague questions on an anonymous message board isn't research. But I'll bet you its all the OP will do.

A person who should own a dog is one who researches local vets, and asks them questions. They read up on the breeds so that they find one that fits their lifestyle. Then they read up on the possible diseases that the breed is prone to getting. And thats on top of that, knows all the diseases that any dog can get. Will the OP know when their dog is sick? Very probably not, unless they do their research.

They also research the kind of daily/weeekly/monthly care a dog needs - how often does it need to be groomed? Is the owner prepared to brush its teeth on a weekly basis? Does your apartment allow dogs? Will the dog bark so much that the neighbors will complain? Is the new owner prepared to keep the dog in the house and not in the garage or yard?

I'm just afraid the OP is the kind of person who will see a cute puppy at a pet store and buy it so they can carry it aound and have everyone ohhh and ahhh only to be faced with the fact that the poor pup is very probably a puppy mill dog, and is very sick. And then what?

Shelters are full of dogs that didn't fit what the owners thought they should be - e.g., Little Fifi got too big to fit in a purse, Rocco isn't cute now that he's grown into a 60lb drooling hulk.

Or maybe the owner wants to go on vacation and doesn't have the money to send Roxie to a kennel, or have a friend who will take the dog for a week - so they dump a bag of food and put water in a few buckets in the basement and leave Roxie in the basement for week.

And it's not the dogs fault - its the owners fault for not asking the serious, specific questions that really need to be asked and answered.

Harsh? Maybe. But thats how I feel. And If you doubt what I say go spend 5 minutes in an animal shelter and you'll see that I'm right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yes, i came on here so people won't tell me how stupid i am and that i shouldn't get a dog because i know nothing! I CAME HERE TO LEARN THINGS. BUT SEEMS LIKE THAT'S NOT WORKING, SO I'LL TRY A DIFFERENT SOURCE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BYE!

Yes, and thanks to all those who have helped!! Thank you guys very much cause i learned a lot! I am only thirteen almost fourteen, so yea! Bye!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The great thing about this forum is that it's a great source of information, and I think that unfortunately you've just experienced the downside: the people who occasionally respond very zealously and sometimes rudely to questions from newbies. It was a great idea to ask here, and those were good questions. I would encourage you to stick around, because there really are some people here who can help you out.

Lisaj1354, your point and your intentions are admirable. It's true that dog ownership is enormously abused. But give the kid a break! Phunghue is really being much more responsible than 90% of dog owners out there by finding these things out BEFORE he/she gets a dog.

Phunghue, I take my hat off to you. And I hope that the other people you meet in this forum will be a little more helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts