Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I have a Puggle mix dog named Mater who will be 6 on October 13. I noticed last Saturday that he has a slight limp to his left leg. Our family didn't have much concern because he seems to do the unexplainable to himself all the time. Over the days it looked like it got worse, and it was time to take a trip to the vet. Our vet told us he ruptured one of the cushions in his lower spinal area. X-rays showed everything he did, but we have no idea how he did it. But he really got himself this time. He is currently taking meds, muscle relaxer, stomach coater, and Prednisone. He can control his potty time. Because when he has to go he will get up and drag himself around the kitchen and leave a trail of pee. My question is, should I try and express his bladder even though he can control it?
Also he will be on crate rest for a while until we see an improvement in him.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You need to ask your vet about it. You could do more damage to your dog incorrectly expressing his bladder so have your vet advise you. I would crate him or put him in an ex pen, or small space, and carry him out to go potty. Or get pee pads, and keep him in a small area. I wouldn't be letting him drag himself, as he can do more damage to his spinal cord. Plus, movement has to be painful, just because of the type of injury.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts