Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the temperature here is hitting 105. I didn't realize it was going to get this hot before I left work. I'm now wondering if I should have left the dogs out or not. They have shade in the yard and have an unlimited supply of cool water via a water spigot on the back of my house. The spigot has a lixit dispenser on it and is shaded so it's never in the sun and never gets too hot to lick. There's a bowl under neath it to catch the cool water. Still it's 105 degrees out. Brutus is a basset so he has shorter fur, but he's an old guy. Zero is younger, but he does have longer hair. I hate to crate them all day and my house isn't a whole lot cooler as I leave the air at 85 all day long when I'm not home.

How do other people who live in hot climates deal with leaving their dogs outside? or do you not leave them out when it's hot?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Until a couple of years ago, my dogs were outside when I was at work. The garage was theirs, the car is never in it. I made sure they had fresh water every day. When I had a dog who liked to play in the water, I bought a kiddie pool. Mine all had shorter hair and I hated to leave them out but one lived to 15 and one to 14. Butch still spends a good bit of his time outside but then he's strange sometimes. ;) The cat is out most of the time and he has very long hair.

I would rather mine be outside in the heat than in a stuff house (at 85) in a crate, but that's just me. I know there will be many who would not leave their dogs outside at all. If you have to crate them, maybe turn the temp down a little...?

I forget what Zero is...other than the good child.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until a couple of years ago, my dogs were outside when I was at work. The garage was theirs, the car is never in it. I made sure they had fresh water every day. When I had a dog who liked to play in the water, I bought a kiddie pool. Mine all had shorter hair and I hated to leave them out but one lived to 15 and one to 14. Butch still spends a good bit of his time outside but then he's strange sometimes. ;) The cat is out most of the time and he has very long hair.

I would rather mine be outside in the heat than in a stuff house (at 85) in a crate, but that's just me. I know there will be many who would not leave their dogs outside at all. If you have to crate them, maybe turn the temp down a little...?

I forget what Zero is...other than the good child.
Zero is a 1.5 yr old vicious attack spaniel of the cocker variety. Crowning achievement - horrifying grandparents by viciously licking a 2 yr old's face.

·
Banned
363 Posts
As long as they have shade and water I don't see a problem; its not like you are forcing them to run around. Water is critical as I believe most heat loss is thru evaporation in the lungs. Sitting inside in a plastic box in the heat does not sound very comfortable to me; they also probably drink less water inside?

Wildlife survive 105 OK and nobody's giving them food and water.

I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
shade and water, they should be good. It's 95+ out there and my dogs are out there with shade, water, sand to dig in, etc and are doing just fine, including the rough collie.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Just keep in mind, 85 is a heck of a lot cooler than 105.

It gets to be like 115 here in the summer, and I'd never keep my dogs outside, they barely like going outside to go to the bathroom! lol.

I'd say being crated inside, is probably a better solution, but if you are providing everything they need, water, shelter, shade, than you aren't doing anything inhumane IMO

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you considered having a kiddie pool out there for them? In the shade.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
kiddie pool for a water loving dog would be great. Mine LOVE playing in the water. Makes summer more bearble for them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What i do is ill make sure the dogs have shade and then before i leave ill fill up a bowl of water and put decent sized ice chunks in there

or like tx said a kiddie pool with water

·
Banned
363 Posts
I can't say this for sure but I don't expect the temperature of the water makes a big difference. The heat transfer is principally thru evaporation in the dogs lungs. The heat absorbed to raise water from say 10 C (cool water) to 30 C (air temp on a hot day) is a lot smaller than evaporating the water. So cool water is better than warm water but the key is lots of water.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i'm sure that neighbour of yours will keep an eye out :D

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I live in FL, where the humidity makes the heat even hotter, and more dangerous, therefore, my dogs are never left outside. During the summer months, they are quick to do their business outside, and even quicker racing back inside to the comfort of AC, and the sofa. Their water comsumption is far greater during summer months, even though they're inside where it's cool (temp set at 76), and each has his/her own fan they lay in front of! LOL Funny characters!

·
Registered
306 Posts
my dogs are outside long enough to do their business. period. it HOT here(FL)
We go for walks very early am or late at night--and its still HOT

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I live in FL, where the humidity makes the heat even hotter, and more dangerous, therefore, my dogs are never left outside. During the summer months, they are quick to do their business outside, and even quicker racing back inside to the comfort of AC, and the sofa. Their water comsumption is far greater during summer months, even though they're inside where it's cool (temp set at 76), and each has his/her own fan they lay in front of! LOL Funny characters!
Ditto. Florida has been face melting hot this week...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
How do other people who live in hot climates deal with leaving their dogs outside? or do you not leave them out when it's hot?
The truth is I would never leave my dogs out in 105 degree weather. I would crate them before I did that. Or at the very least, gate them in the kitchen. Before we had gates, we stacked a big cabinet in front of the door. I would find a way.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Zero is a 1.5 yr old vicious attack spaniel of the cocker variety. Crowning achievement - horrifying grandparents by viciously licking a 2 yr old's face.
Uh-oh. Now he knows the taste of human flesh. You better sleep with one eye open...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in central florida and we have had a heat wave for the last 3 days, "feels like temp" has been 110. It is so hot outside, I can't leave them out more than 5 minutes. We have to wait until 7 or 7:30m to do the pm walk (I wait until the temp hits 90 or less). I am sure that your dogs will be okay today (lots of shade and cool water), but you might want to keep them inside when the temp goes over 90ish.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
With shade and water they should be fine if they are acclimated to hotter temps. If not their could be a problem. If they are snub nosed or short winded their could be a problem also.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It gets pretty darn hot around where I live. I'm not sure what the temperature is in Fahrenheit but it usually gets to be around 32 degrees Celsius in the afternoon, year-round. My dogs have a door that allows them access to the yard in the day, but also allows them to go indoors to the shade anytime they like. Inside the house it's not all that cool either, but the tile floor makes a lot of difference. Of course, a constant supply of water is a must.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The truth is I would never leave my dogs out in 105 degree weather. I would crate them before I did that. Or at the very least, gate them in the kitchen.
Ditto.

It got to be 93 degrees here today, with humidity probably somewhere around 80%... I felt bad letting the dogs out just to go potty, they didn't seem to mind it and Juno was pretty much in and out all day playing, but I couldn't imagine leaving them out in it all day.

I think 85 is much better and you could have a fan turned on for them or something. I don't know, I'd just be really uncomfortable leaving my dogs out like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts