Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I've a friend family has a problem with her cat she consulted me about this asking if I've heard of this? Here is her email. What advice can I give her?

Dash has cat acne! Apparently it's related to plastic food dishes...so I switched to stainless steel and it's clearing up. They have overactive sebaceous glands on their chins...and are predisposed to acne there!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, plastic dishes can do that. It's a fairly common problem. However, most cats don't like stainless steel dishes, especially for water....some kind of static/magnetic/taste thing. Ceramic or glass are usually preferred.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Generally it clears up once you switch to non-plastic dishes. I've never used any meds or heard about any kind of meds that work for feline acne. Unless it's really bad and infected, then antibiotics may be needed. You could also swab the area with apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Snickers had that problem a long time ago, we switched to ceramic dishes for the cats and it just cleared up on its own.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Lily has some, it comes and goes all the time. I havent used plastic food bowls in ages because not only do they cause feline acne but they also absorb all kinds of stuff and grows bacteria. And Im sure it makes the water taste funny after a while of using a plastic bowl. I bought stoneware for Lily, I guess if anything happens to these I'll change to glass.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Angel used to get cat acne very often... and of course, after we began cleaning her bowl routinely and used hydrogen peroxide and soap/warm water on her chin it cleared up. Unless it gets infected, it's nothing to worry about. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts