Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I manage a dog daycare in NY. We have daycare, training and grooming. The owners are not present and its left up to the 3 managers (myself and 2 others) to run the facility. We have an issue with 1 of our groomers not showing up on time to their appointments. I have stated that I would like a mandatory rule that they show up at least 15minutes before their first appointment to be able to set up/greet their clients and take instructions. I do not feel this is far fetched. The problem being though that she does not even show up on time! she showed up at 9:36 for her 9:00 appointment. As it is they are free to schedule their own appointment times. The problem is that until now there has been no real repercussions for their actions. The owners have had to come in and talk to them on many occasions about this, but it never gets anywhere.

My question:

-What happens to you in your salon (or others that you know of) in this type of situation?

Apparently its illegal to dock pay? At least this is what I have been told. (they are commission pay) Also cutting their hours/days that she is here does not bother her (she is only doing about 4 dogs a day... and sometimes taking wayyy too much time to complete dogs... im talking 5 to 6 hours....). Firing her is apparently not an option (according to ownership. she was the first of 2 groomers when the business started 2 yrs ago). I tired of our business looking bad because of it, and the stress it causes on management.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm not in the doggy daycare or grooming business but I've worked as a professional for many years.

If you can't threaten her pay or her job there's little you can do to discipline her. You need to really take this matter up with the owners. An employee who consistently does not show up for work on time and has been warned several times about it, deserves to be let go.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I agree. She would be fired in my salon. If the rules are, she is to be there to check in her dogs, and she is consistantly late...I dont understand why she has a job still. If the owners cannot see that this makes their business look bad, thats on them I guess. I am sure there are plenty of groomers out there looking for jobs that would be all to happy to take hers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can only speak for myself but, most groomers work on a commission basis and being there for your appts is the only way to make money. If she continues to be late give her appts to someone that is already there and on time. maybe missing some money will help her to read the clock. good luck

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we decided to give her 3 days suspension... hopefully this lights a fire under her butt.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm not a groomer, but you cannot doc pay for hours worked. If it were me, I document every incident. The three managers should would show the owners the incident log and let them know you are planning on starting a documented performance strategy. Use the documented incidents to show them the impact it has on their business and other associates.

Then institute a policy that the owners can agree on, and it out to all groomers and employees. Tell the owners and the associates they will be held accountable. The 1st incident after that is a written verbal warning. The 2nd incident is a written warning with consequences (such as suspension). The 3rd incident is termination. All associates will need to be treated the same.

Counseling can also be effective. If you sit her down and explain why her behavior (not her, don't make it personal) is not conducive for business and the effect it has on clients and other associates. I would see if you can find out why she is showing up late. Ask her what she can do to to eliminate the behavior and hold her to the plan. It can work. The counseling should be personable, yet firm.

Seriously, is she that good that her clients continue to come back to her?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*sigh* shes good when she wants to be. we had in one weekend 2 grooms call back and had to pay out vet bills for nicking their ears. she didnt say a word about it happening. i understand that it DOES happen sometimes, dogs wiggle and whatnot and youre dealing with very sharp tools... but 2 in one weekend? AND you couldnt even bother to say anything to us or the customer? come on! i still have no idea why people come back to her... probably because they dont know any better. but i will say she has lost a LOT of clients to our newest groomer (whos freaking awesome). once they are groomed by her and experience her customer skills they keep going back.

its just a case of someone who wants the world handed to her and doesnt care about much. after her 3 days of suspension she got a bit more timely though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts