Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month I will be flying to Las Vegas to attend my mother's wedding, then flying to Missouri to watch my fiance graduate from Basic. I will be gone a total of 10 days. The original plan was to get a dog after this, but I fell in love with Tiberius the day I met him.

He is 3 years old and listed on his vet papers as an Alaskan Husky. He is very timid and shy. Any sudden movement or noise scares him. Smaller dogs terrify him and he takes a few minutes to warm up to people. I am wondering, as timid as he is, would it be a good idea to take him with me or just kennel him for those 10 days?

The other worry I have is after the wedding we are going to be visiting my grandparents in California. My mom's parents don't have AC and live in Lucerne Valley (which is in the high desert). I know, being husky, this probably wouldn't be a good idea. They also have two dogs of their own he has never met. He does ok meeting larger dogs, but is still very timid. My other grandparent's (mom's ex's parents) have AC, and I will be staying with them for a couple days. But my grandma abhors the idea of a dog in the house. Grandpa is fine with the idea.

Now that I read this, the kennel is looking like the best idea. But, any suggestions for future travel by plane with my dog? He does beautifully in his crate, so that part is taken care of. :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
In a month, it'll be early may. Travel by plane in the south will be iffy and doubtful in NV. I'd leave him at home.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is what I'm thinking. We have one kennel up here...I'm going to go by and visit this week. If the kennel doesn't work, I have an artist friend who is home all the time and has offered to dog sit while I'm out of town.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you have a dog sitter come stay in your house with him while you're gone? That's the least stressful.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could see if one of my friends can stay at the house. I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yeah that is what I'm thinking. We have one kennel up here...I'm going to go by and visit this week. If the kennel doesn't work, I have an artist friend who is home all the time and has offered to dog sit while I'm out of town.
This is your best option, and best for the dog.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Dogs survive air shipping quite well, as a rule. Even young puppies. I wouldn't subject a new dog to multiple legs of a trip, to new places, meeting new people and new dogs. Even a fairly bold dog could be seriously stressed by such an experience--even without the fact of high temperatures.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. :) Now I get to convince my family I'm leaving him in Maine...hehe

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have another solution : take the car. If that's not possible I would leave him home. If your dog is as timid and shy and terrified of smaller dogs, this would be a stressful trip for him. He might come back even more timid and shy and terrified.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish the car was viable Janine. I am going to go visit the kennel on Thursday and see what I think. The website makes the facilities look nice, but we will see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts