Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, i'm new here. i'm the brand new puppy owner of a beautiful 2 month old golden retriever named Lady. So far she's been part of my family for 3 nights. I basically just want to ask if im doing the right things with my new friend. So far imfinding it overwheling caring for this dog. But i refuse to give up on her. I did not know how much work this would be to be 110% honest. However i have the time and patience to see this through. so let me get started.

First of all, i've been trying to housebreak Lady with diaper pads in stead of a crate. so Far she's been doing good with it. most of the time she knows to pee and poop on the diaper. but sometimes she misses. I woke up this morning with pee and poop all over my bedroom floor. I was told not to overwhelm my dog with constant walks. I take her out about 3 times a day to play in the garden. When she pees or poops in the garden i praise her highly and give her a treat. When she does so in the house, i dont scold her. i quietly pick up what she left and place new pads. Aside from taking her in the backyard to play, i also attempted to walk her maybe 5 times so far.... which brings me to my next concern.

Every time i walk her, she either walks behind me and swerves all over me, or she refuses to walk at all. No amount of convincing will make her move!! This is very frustrating because i havenot the faintest idea of how to get her to move, and when she does move on her own, she never ever stays by my side.She basically walks behind me and through my legs. I would really apreciate some advice as to how to walk my dog.

My new puppy also has an obsession with grass. She wont stop eating grass! When she does i tap her snout and say "no, bad dog!" sternly. she's been getting better at responding to "no" but still eats grass frequently. She's already had her first vaccination, but this still concerns me very much. Since yesterday afternoon, she has been puking :( So far the puke only looks like saliva. no food. Is this because im not feeding her enough? I was told to feed her once in the morning and once at night. Alot of people say to give more food, but the lady at the pet shop i baught her from insists on 2 very tiny portions a day. So to wrap things up, here are my basic questions:

1. How many times a day should i take my puppy out into the garden?

2. how should i train my puppy to stay by my side when i take her for walks? should i even be attempting to walk a 2 month old?

3. What are the do's and dont's of diaper training?

4. how long is too long for my puppy to be doing her business in the house?

5. How can i get my puppy to stop eating grass?

6. What might be wrong with a puppy who is vomitting saliva?

7. how much food should i be giving her?

I'm very sorry for the long post, but i'm pretty determined to do whatever it takes to get this puppy house trained and healthy. Not doing so would be unfair to both of us.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. How many times a day should i take my puppy out into the garden?
Roughly every 2-3 hours. In general she should be taken out after eating, after drinking, after play/training, and upon awakening.

2. how should i train my puppy to stay by my side when i take her for walks? should i even be attempting to walk a 2 month old?
She's a baby and too young for formal training but carry some really yummy (read smelly like hotdog pieces) treats Or a target stick smeared with peanut butter or cheese spread and during the walk give her a occasional piece/taste when, and onlywhen she's by your side. Also play fun games such as a doggy version of follow the leader to teach her that being by your side is fun and more interesting than all those other distractions.

3. What are the do's and dont's of diaper training?
I assume you mean house training? Well, one big DO is to crate train. It makes housetraining much easier and has many other benefits. A big don't is to never correct the puppy after the fact. I generally follow 5 steps: confine the pup when I can't watch it 110% of the time (I use crates but tethering to you is an alternative); put everything including food and water on a strict schedule so I have a good idea about when the pup will need to go out. That does not mean they get less food or water, just when; taking pup out (I do not train on pee pads at all) to the potty area on regular basis and praising for going; Use the time the pup is pottying to teach it to go on command; correct the pup (voice correction) if caught in the act of going in the wrong place and taking it out to finish; and not allowing any unsupervised house freedom whatsoever until pup shows s/he has earned it.

4. how long is too long for my puppy to be doing her business in the house?
For me the day I bring a pup home is too long to be going in the house not counting the inevitable accidents until the pup has control over those muscles at about 6 months- 1 year of age but those are due to human error.

5. How can i get my puppy to stop eating grass?
Grass won't hurt her but if you don't want her to eat it, you have to correct her and then offer an acceptable alternative. But why does this very natural dog behavior bother you? Are there poisons being used on the grass?

6. What might be wrong with a puppy who is vomitting saliva?
Nothing is wrong. It could be from the grass. But, if you're concerned about it, you should call and ask your vet.

7. how much food should i be giving her?
You should be feeding her 3-4 times a day right now. Check with your vet on how much to feed but just be aware that, especially during the adolescent growth period a pup will generally eat more than an adult dog,

Relax, it's not rocket science. You will make mistakes but (to change a famous quote just a bit) "To err is human, to forgive canine." You'll do fine but we need pictures!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
skilaki gave you wonderful answers to your questions. I just want to stress to feed her more. The lady at the pet show is probably not an expert in anything but selling puppies. I wouldn't listen to her at all. Listen to your vet and others who have experience actually raising puppies. My vet told me to free-feed my puppies until they were about 3-4 months old.

And I also want to stress... PICTURES!!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would not free feed, but you should definitely be feeding her about 3 to 4 times a day.

I would also start putting her on a schedule... this will minimize the number of accidents in the house. Take her to the diaper pads on a schedule and stay there with her on a leash until she goes. Are you potty training her to go outside or on the pads? Stick to one consistently for now.

Other than, you've received some really great advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for answering my questions. I started to give her more food. Taking her out every 2-3 hours is something i am definitly willing to do. But does that include night time? I will be exhausted if so, but its a sacrifice im willing to make for such a magnificant animal. here are the pics you requested: :)

Lady 028.jpg

Lady 032.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
But does that include night time?
If you want to do it right, then yes. How old is she? If she's 8 weeks, that's two months. The rule of thumb about how much their bladder can hold is the age in months, plus one. So, she can hold it for three hours. In my experience, they can usually hold it a little longer than that, but I wouldn't push it.

You can take her water up at 7 PM and take her out for the last time at 10 PM. Then at 1 and 4. If you take her out at 11, then take her out at 2 and 5. The benefit of this is that her potty training will go a lot faster if she NEVER goes in the house. My first two puppies NEVER went in the house once and were trained within the first 2 weeks. I just drank a lot of water at night and took them out when I got up to go. :D

She is adorable!

·
Registered
296 Posts
no food 3hrs before bed and no water 2 hrs before bed. keep her in a crate by the bed and when she wakes up needing to go out, take her. My 9 week old pup sleeps 6 straight hours now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts