Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. Fidget was spayed Wednesday the 9th.

LOL poor thing hates this e-collar. I was told that she has to wear it for a week to ten days but was wondering what should be done after that...because I know she is the type of dog that will immediately try licking the incision (which is not stitched, they used surgical glue which is water soluble - stitches are internal...) Anyway - what are your opinions on the e-collar? I read somewhere that some people put pantyhose or something around the dog's belly so that they don't have to wear the collar or something...

Secondly, Fidget is a very very active dog. It's a bit of a break having her a little less active with this ecollar on, but I feel bad for her as she wants to run and jump and play, and all she is able to do is chew her rawhide...she is SO bored. I try doing trick/training sessions to ease a bit of boredom but it only helps temporarily. When will she be able to go for walks again and how long before she can be allowed to play and jump? (it is wet outside as the snow is starting to melt, I can NOT let her incision get wet due to the glue)

Tonight I am having some gals over to watch a movie while my hubby is off at his night shift. I was wondering if you guys have any advice what to do with her - I heard that they should ABSOLUTELY NOT jump. That's what she naturally wants to do when people come in the door.
So my question is:
Should I put her on leash for greeting (step on leash so she can't jump)
Keep her in my arms (but she struggles like a worm...could that harm the incision?)
Or just put her in her crate? (She will whine the entire time knowing that guests are here...)

PS: And now for something completely unrelated....How do you like my new Sigpic? :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
branston was castrated on thursday, he wore is collar for all of 24hrs before it fell off him! he purposely kept bashing it against the wall to break it! he has been licking a lot too, the vet said yesterday that thats fine as long as he doesnt chew the stitches which he hasnt yet. i was also told no jumping but you cannot stop branston :) still no lead walking though until wednesday. its slightly different fidget being a girl but i hope this helps. your pic is cool by the way :)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Maybe my vet's just not as cautious as he should be, but I've never used an e-collar or really limited them too much after spay/neuter's. I tried to keep them quiet for the first day or two but then it was pretty much back to normal. I dont know, maybe I should've been more careful, but .....
btw, love your new sig. Is that hard to make? I'm not very computer literate.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Susie was the first dog I have ever had that was spayed. The Vet just said to keep her quiet for a few days, no running or jumping. I never had a collar on her, had her in the house or on a leash outside and she was fine. She did have stitches, not glue so maybe that made a difference. As long as she was not constantly licking (which she didn't) never had a problem. She never had any pain medication as it did not seem to bother her and she was back to normal within a few days.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I have never tried to restrict activity after spay/neuter either. Or tried to stop them from licking. . .although I did have a kitten chew her stitches out last year. I put a tube sock on her belly and that took care of it, LOL. Are you sure the glue is water-soluble? That doesn't sound right. Usually they use a form of superglue (which is waterproof).

Anyway, yeah, a tube sock, nylons, an ACE bandage, a baby onesie, a t-shirt with a knot tied in it, etc. Anything that keeps them away from the stitches should work fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
She's so cute! I love your signature as well.

Hailey was spayed through a low cost program associated with her rescue. I adopted her 5 or 6 days after her spay (at 8 mo.) and they didn't give me any instructions about limiting her activity. I was worried about it though and tried to keep her from running/jumping, but she did it anyway to some extent. She had one external stitch, don't know if that matters. She was totally fine and now you can't even see the incision, just a couple weeks later.

How old is Fidget? I think younger pups are more resilient to spay surgery? I would think Fidget would be ok if you could find a way to keep the glue dry - waterproof patch? Maybe ask the vet for an alternative to the collar (if you haven't already)?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. Yes they told me specifically that the glue is water soluble.

No sigs are easy to make. If anyone wants one...

Well the panty-hose t-shirt lasted all of five minutes. Soon as I took the E-Collar off she started leaping (and I mean LEAPING) and running and jumping and doing EVERYTHING she's not supposed to do...well I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried it. Oh well. I guess it's the e-collar until thursday or so...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts