Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so me and my wife bought a Boston Terrier/Toy poodle mix yesterday, she is 7 weeks old and we are concerned on a few things (first time dog owners). Upon getting home with her yesterday, she was shy at first (which is understandable cause everything is new) but after a bit seemed to be a bit playful. We have food/water in bowls in the kitchen and have shown her where they are a few times but she doesn't ever want to eat/drink. I have taken some food out of the bowl and put it in my hand in front of her and she will take one and eat it but never more then about 3-4 kibble pieces. Is this normal for puppies when they first arrive?

Also, last night was a bit rough when it came to sleeping, we currently have a kids play-pin for her to sleep in that is next to our bed until we get either a kennel or a crate. She cried forever so I started getting up when she cried and petted her and she'd fall asleep then I would go to bed but she'd start crying about 30 minutes later. I did take her outside at like 2 a.m. to go potty and she didn't go until we came back inside, on the carpet (the whole first day she was here, everytime we took her outside she would pee outside ... which was rather surprising lol). Generally how long does the whole crying during sleep time last?

Lastly, she seems to shake somewhat when she sleep, it's almost like a twitch? We haven't taken her to the vet for her first appointment yet until the 6th of September and just wanna make sure she gets her food and water mainly and accustomed to everything.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Seven weeks is very young to be separated from mom and siblings.

Generally how long does the whole crying during sleep time last?
If you get up and pet her every time she whines, it's going to last forever. You're actually reinforcing the behavior.

The same is true of the eating. If you hand-feed your dog, you'll be doing it forever.

When your dog pees or poops outside, praise and reward her extravagantly - like she's just discovered the cure for the common cold. Verbal praise and very small, high-value treats are great. When she has an "accident" inside, clean it up without comment.

In general, reward behavior you want to encourage and ignore behavior you want to discourage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply! I will definitely stop hand feeding her and stop petting her when she whimpers when she is supposed to be sleeping. Should we just not worry about her eating right now? Of course, we will keep an eye on her for the next day or two and if she doesn't eat at all then maybe we will have to bring her to the vet? We have her on the exact food the lady had her on when they were born. We praise her when she pee's and poops outside for sure, It's difficult to allow her to whimper and cry at night all night long because we live in an apartment and I wouldn't want our neighbors to complain about hearing her (our apartment doesn't know we have her yet because we don't have the money for the deposit till next month).

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Ideally, a new puppy or dog should go to the vet as a first order of business. The vet can eliminate possible medical reasons for the poor appetite.

It's likely your pup is just getting adjusted - it's been less than a full day - but only a vet can say for sure.

Somebody should have warned you, before you got a puppy, that they whine and bark when they're not getting attention. If that's going to cause problems with your apartment manager, the you're certainly going to have an adventure.

I'm still curious about who sold you a 7-week old puppy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Currently we aren't soaking the food, how much do we soak it down? We bought a carrier (crate) and put her stuff in there and she seems to like it way more then the other thing we had her in. Hopefully it'll help her sleep better and not cry as much.

Technically the puppy is almost 8 weeks old as of two days from now. I know that 8 weeks is deemed as the "minimum" with separating puppies from their mothers, I think she seems to be dealing with the change pretty good right now, I just would love to see her eat or drink.

We are calling the vet tomorrow to get her in as soon as they can for her first appointment and get her shots rolling as well! Thanks for all the advice guys!

::EDIT::

Also, does anyone know of a good brand for dog food to use? The people that we purchased her from used Ol' Roy from Walmart and I'm now hearing this brand is really not good for puppies and has fillers and what not in it that aren't healthy.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ol' Roy is not necessarily a good brand for any age of dog. Granted, I am sure some dogs do great on it. My advice for you is to go onto www.dogfoodadvisor.com and click on "dry dog food" and then look and see what brands are listed under the 4 or 5 star category. Any of these foods are good for a puppy. If you had a larger breed of dog I would warn you about high levels of protein, however since I doubt your dog will get that big, you are more or less in the clear. Just keep in mind higher protein in the food means the dog should be drinking more water.

Not sure what kind of stores are next to you but Petco carries some good brands and so does Tractor Supply and other similar feed stores.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took a small lid and put some dry dog food in it and added a bit of water (not a lot) and put it on the floor, the second she saw it she walked up to it and attacked it like no other and ate the entire thing! I think I may keep doing this until I make it through the entire small bag I bought, then look at buying dry food that has smaller kibbles in it. It was an amazing feeling to see her scarf the food down. Hopefully she starts drinking out of the water bowl too!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When Aidan was very young, we fed him Taste of the Wild dry food. We soaked it in a little bit of boiling water, and fed it to him after it had cooled. Hot tap water did not soften the food.

Then we transitioned him to half canned Merrick Puppy Plate, and no longer soaked the TOTW. Now he gets TOTW dry, with various things mixed in from time to time (plain yogurt, an egg, bits of meat). He loves a little bit of Parmesan cheese mixed in with it, too.

Aidan didn't know how to drink out of a water bowl when we got him. I put my finger in the bowl with the tip sticking out of the water. He latched on and immediately figured out how to drink out of a bowl. (His breeder had used water bottles.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I stuck my finger in the water bowl and put it up to her mouth and she licked it and i kept doing it and then placed her near the bowl but she just runs away lol.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Yeah, I stuck my finger in the water bowl and put it up to her mouth and she licked it and i kept doing it and then placed her near the bowl but she just runs away lol.
Ok 1st thing you do is pour the Ol' Roy dog food out and feed the pup the bag, yes I know there are some dogs out there that are fed Ol Roy and they also would do better if just fed the empty bag. If you try other food feed half Ol Roy and half new food for a couple days so as not to shock pup's system. If money is problem get some Purina Puppy chow as while not as good it is at least affordable and a big step up. Some people in this economy cannot afford expensive dog food. I'm Just Sayin'..

Water, just for kicks try a clear glass bowl if it does not help it won't hurt.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would suggest just getting rid of the Ol Roy and cold turkey start something better. When I got my puppy she had been getting Ol Roy at the breeders too. I threw it away and started her on Simply Nourish from PetSmart that day. Ol Roy is arguably the WORST dog food ever! Nutrition is so important when puppies are growing that I only wanted a very good food going into my puppy. Simply Nourish is a 4 star food according to Dog Food Advisor and Lola has had no issues eating it. I also had no tummy upset from the cold turkey switch.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would suggest just getting rid of the Ol Roy and cold turkey start something better. When I got my puppy she had been getting Ol Roy at the breeders too. I threw it away and started her on Simply Nourish from PetSmart that day. Ol Roy is arguably the WORST dog food ever! Nutrition is so important when puppies are growing that I only wanted a very good food going into my puppy. Simply Nourish is a 4 star food according to Dog Food Advisor and Lola has had no issues eating it. I also had no tummy upset from the cold turkey switch.
While I agree there are some pups no trouble with switch Our practice has always been to phase new food in, it's a personal choice.

I assume you don't want OP to try the Ol Roy bag feeding program.:)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Mine would love the Ol Roy bag feeding program. Mine would love it even more if I switched to a feeding program with nothing but toilet paper. :) Just cause they'll eat it doesn't mean it's good! So, yeah, ditch the Ol Roy!
We fed Canidae All Life Stages, but have since switched to Blue Buffalo. I know Blue gets lots of publicity, and some people say any food that really advertizes that much isn't that great (as in, it puts them in the same category as a supermarket dog food), but I like the ingredients, and my dogs like the food! :)

As for nighttime, yes, ignoring is hard, but so important! You can try covering the crate with a blanket to get her to settle down, or put an unwashed piece of your clothing in the crate, as your scent will often comfort a young puppy!

And, as for being almost 8 weeks old: yes, she might be "dealing with the change" ok, puppies can adapt to change if given time. The problem is, that very young puppies learn so much from mama and siblings about bite inhibition, and social behavior, and lots of stuff. If you take them away too soon, they miss out on that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^^ lol. I believe mine would love the toilet paper diet.

I feed Coco Pro Pac Performance Puppy kibble mixed in with Merrick Puppy Plate canned food. Honestly, Coco really doesn't like her kibble. It's a 3.5 star dog food and the only things keeping me from switching now are (1) I have a lot of it; and (2) Coco tends to have a sensitive stomach so switching would be a task. She LOVES the Merrick Puppy Plate canned food, though. Sometimes she'll lick the canned food off the kibble, but most of the time she'll eat all her food when the two are mixed.

I'm not sure you should start mixing canned food yet, as your puppy is still so young. I know my vet wanted to have Coco on dry kibble for the first couple months I had her. But I'm not sure exactly why that was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we ditched the Ol' Roy. We went to Petco and bought a bag of Science Diet stuff for puppies, and the instance I put it in the bowl she ate some. It's awesome to see her become accustomed to our house and us, now she just walks right up to the bowl and drinks and eats whenever.

Last night she sleep through the entire night! She whined the first 5 minutes in the crate but it wasn't loud at all. After that, she was quiet which was surprising but awesome! Only thing that worries me, is that me and my wife go to bed around 10pm and get up at 4 a.m. and leave to work (we made sure to take her outside for potty and then I played with her for about 15 minutes) and then she is in the crate for about 6-8 hours while we are at work. She did pee in her kennel and poop but it was on the "wee-wee" pad and not the blanket we put in there to sleep on.

Should we be worried about leaving her in there for that big of a time frame, basically between 10pm till the morning potty and then till around 1pm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It may not be the "best" but it's still a really good choice, especially in comparison to Ol' Roy. Dog food aside, does anyone have any advice towards my previous question of:

Only thing that worries me, is that me and my wife go to bed around 10pm and get up at 4 a.m. and leave to work (we made sure to take her outside for potty and then I played with her for about 15 minutes) and then she is in the crate for about 6-8 hours while we are at work. She did pee in her kennel and poop but it was on the "wee-wee" pad and not the blanket we put in there to sleep on.

Should we be worried about leaving her in there for that big of a time frame, basically between 10pm till the morning potty and then till around 1pm?
Also, me and my wife have a vacation planned in the next 2 weeks (we will be gone for 5 days), that means we will only of had her for around 3 weeks before leaving her for 5 days. We are having a friend of ours (that also bought the brother of our dog) and she also has another small dog and 5 kids, is this bad for our puppy to go to another home for 5 days while we are gone? We're just scared it will scare her or make her think we gave her away =(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts