Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here so I will give you a little back ground info. I currently have 3 Great Danes and a long haired Chihuahua. I just recently lost my 6 year old poodle to a brain lesion, so I got Foxi (the Chihuahua) about a week ago. Actually, a week ago today to be exact. I got her from Craigslist (now I realize what a mistake that was), but I still love her dearly already. Last Wednesday, I saw some fleas on her so I went ahead and put some Frontline on her that was left over from my poodle. She was still itching like crazy a couple days later. I had a vet appt scheduled for her last Saturday so I decided to wait until then and ask him about it. Well, at the vet, I found out she was pregnant, under weight, AND she has whip worms. She was losing her hair and itching because of the fleas and worms. The vet gave us Drontal Plus to get rid of the worms. We gave it to her Saturday afternoon as soon as we got home. She seems to have a much bigger appetite and she is using the bathroom more than when we first brought her home. We clean it up too so our Danes don't get infected. Does anyone know how long she will be contagious?

Now, for the puppies. The vet said she was probably about 30 days along but he could still spay her. I have that scheduled for Thursday. I have been reading the posts on here about accidental pregnancies and I even read the post about Sam. That was so sad. I still feel bad for her puppies, though. Is there any way to make myself not feel like a crappy puppy killer?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here so I will give you a little back ground info. I currently have 3 Great Danes and a long haired Chihuahua. I just recently lost my 6 year old poodle to a brain lesion, so I got Foxi (the Chihuahua) about a week ago. Actually, a week ago today to be exact. I got her from Craigslist (now I realize what a mistake that was), but I still love her dearly already. Last Wednesday, I saw some fleas on her so I went ahead and put some Frontline on her that was left over from my poodle. She was still itching like crazy a couple days later. I had a vet appt scheduled for her last Saturday so I decided to wait until then and ask him about it. Well, at the vet, I found out she was pregnant, under weight, AND she has whip worms. She was losing her hair and itching because of the fleas and worms. The vet gave us Drontal Plus to get rid of the worms. We gave it to her Saturday afternoon as soon as we got home. She seems to have a much bigger appetite and she is using the bathroom more than when we first brought her home. We clean it up too so our Danes don't get infected. Does anyone know how long she will be contagious?

Now, for the puppies. The vet said she was probably about 30 days along but he could still spay her. I have that scheduled for Thursday. I have been reading the posts on here about accidental pregnancies and I even read the post about Sam. That was so sad. I still feel bad for her puppies, though. Is there any way to make myself not feel like a crappy puppy killer?
I just want to say that you made the MOST responsible decision. MAJOR kudos to that. You are not a puppy killer in any way. You are a puppy SAVER because you SAVED them from possibly being lost, given away, put into a shelter, or an unhealthy life because of unknown genetic diseases, etc. There are way too many puppies already out there that are being put down every single day because no one wants them or can care for them. You saved them from possibly being one of those dogs waiting for a home that may never come.

There are others on this forum that can put into words much better than me about all the ways your decision was right, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU. In this day and age I still get shocked and surprised when I see this amount of responsibility, it seems that every where I turn there are accidental pregnancies just being allowed to happen. They have the option to spay but don't.

Craigslist isn't the best place to get puppies, but I honestly think you saved her. God knows what would have happened in someone else's hands.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
In addition to what LilasMom said, the dog that impregnated Foxi could have been a much bigger dog -- you have no idea. Those puppies could end up being dangerously big inside of her. It's safer for her if you spay her instead of making her go through what could be a very difficult (or even fatal) pregnancy. You made the right decision, so please don't feel bad!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the positive support. I know I am doing the right thing, but it still sucks. Tomorrow is the big day for her. I have only had her for a week and her belly is getting huge! I can't wait to get her fixed and get all of her health problems taken care of. She is such a sweet little girl and I am so glad I got her. Did anyone have any info on how long she will be contagious after the deworming? We still clean up after her whenever she uses the bathroom, but I would like to be able to start taking her places. Should I have the vet retest her before her surgery tomorrow just to make sure they are gone?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You are not a horrible puppy killer. You are acting responsibly to keep your dog safe and to not add to the 4,000,000 dogs killed every year in shelters in the US. That's almost 11,000 dogs per day being killed simply because no one wants them. Plus, Foxie is sick, infected with parasites and may be pregnant by a much larger dog. She will be far healthier and safer not continuing in the pregnancy. You could very well end up losing Foxie and the puppies if you allow her to continue.

Thank you for being so responsible and caring for your dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts