Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I adopted a eight month (what I believe it is) Sheltie mix. I quickly learned that he has a bit of a mouthing problem. I have two toddlers running around the house and would linked this to stop. He stops when we tell him no, but then he gets frustrated and rolls around on the floor and bites himself. I have no clue what to do. What is wrong with my dog?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It's hard to know what's going on without eyes on the dog while he's doing it. With that in mind, it sounds like the dog is getting overexcited. A couple of toddlers can do that to anyone.

It sounds like the dog needs help filtering the excess noise and activity that is part of life with the little squirts. A crate is an excellent place for him to cool his jets without fear of being trampled. I know parents who have suggested crates for toddlers, but that is between each individual and his county Office of Child Protective Services (kidding).

Using the crate to give the dog some space, you also want to begin training the dog to refocus his attention and more appropriate responses to the hub-bub. Start doing this when the kids are down for a nap or whatever. It's unfair to expect the dog to focus on you while being mauled by little people. It's not a bad idea to start teaching the kids to sit quietly for a few minutes and watch while you work with the dog. Don't expect too much from any of the relevant parties for the immediate future. But nothing ever happens before you start to make it better.
\
I should add that many dogs naturally take responsibility for contolling baby critters. Collie types would be right in among the likely suspects. Obedience training will teach the dog appropriate limits and communicate to him that running herd on the kids is your job. The dog will thank you for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts