Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have lurked around this and other pet forums for a long time and I am finally ready to ask an actual question. I have been thinking about the possibility of adopting a small companion dog for years now, but several things have kept me from doing so, thus far. The top three are:
1) I did not grow up around dogs and have never owned one before
2) I am single, with one job and one income
3) I sometimes travel overnight for work
Nevertheless, I've been researching the sorts of breeds that may work for my lifestyle, and the maltese keeps popping up. I seek a small, laid back dog with low exercise requirements that is easy to travel with. Before she re-married, my step-mother searched for a dog with these same traits and ended up adopting a bichon-frise, whom she loves. She tells me that a maltese isn't much different. Nonetheless, I am wary of the 'clinginess' that small dogs can sometimes exhibit; I'm very much a person who appreciates her own space. Can anyone share with me their experiences with owning a maltese, and if this breed may be the ideal option for me? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Maltese are quite clingy, that's just part of the breed. You could train the dog to give you space, by training it go on its own bed on command and not sit on you on the couch, but you do need to spend a lot of time cuddling it too. As long as you take it for walks and spend quality time for it, there is no reason why it shouldn't be happy to go to its own bed when asked to.

Dogs are expensive, a lot more expensive than I ever realised. And then you have unexpected vet bills, so make sure you have plenty of money set aside before you get a dog, and are able to set aside an amount each month.

I don't know how much you work, but a Maltese might struggle if you work full time every day, as they are very people oriented. They should be fine for a few hours a day, but if you work full time, you're likely to be away from the dog 9-10 hours per day if you include travel time. You can't then expect alone time when you get home, your evenings need to be spent with the dog. Or you could look into getting a dog walker or doggy daycare.

If you travel overnight the dog can't be left alone, you'd need to take it with you or drop it off at a friend's place. Sounds like you're planning to travel with it, but just wanted to make sure.

Other than that, Maltese are lovely dogs and I've considered one myself :) ( I currently have a poodle x maltese)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
i have a male maltese and he is not clingy. I am biased but they are the best breed! He is in the crate for 4 to 5 hours some days and he is perfectly content.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts