Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old pit bull rescue, and on 9/10/11 got a 7 month old golden (possibly mixed) rescue from a humane society. I used to feed the pit EVO and other grain free kibble and never had any problems with her. Since getting the pup I changed to Orijen. At first my pit seemed okay, although her stools were odorous, but then she started to have soft stools. I tried adding pumpkin to her food but saw no improvement, I'm now adding rice and the stool looked a lot firmer, but I don't want to feed my dogs grain so I'm thinking I may have to change brands or try raw.

The puppy is being treated for tapeworms, giardia, coccidia, and kennel cough. (Not sure I'd ever get a dog from a humane society again, sheesh) The poor little guy has so much going on that I can't attribute his mild diarrhea to just the Orijen. He doesn't much like the Orijen (Lg breed puppy formula) though, and shows less and less interest in it each day. I was adding pumpkin, and now rice too, and still no normal BMs. If I don't mix in a third of a can of UltraMix Lamb & Rice he shows little interest in eating the Orijen. I'm wondering if the humane society had him on canned and that's why he doesn't care for kibble. The vet suggests I pick up some WD at his office, to get the diarrhea under control, but it's got grains and would only be used temporarily.

Now that you know what I'm dealing with, I've been looking into Nature's Variety Instinct Raw as a diet for both dogs once I get the parasites and cough cleared up. Since my husband is against a completely raw diet, I thought the Instinct Raw might be a good compromise. I wouldn't be giving my dog whole chickens, etc. and it's high pressure processed to decrease bacteria contamination which is a big concern for us.

So, is NV Instinct Raw a good product?

Is it okay for a 7 month old pup to eat raw?

How do you do a "rotation" diet?

What supplements should I give them if I go raw/rotation? I feel like I should give something to make sure all their needs are met.

I ordred Probiotic Miracle to put on their food whether I go raw or not, does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for your help, I'll check back for replies as soon as I can

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The premade raw products are a good start, but you have to consider your budget - they can get very pricy! It's a good product if your dogs do ok on the mixes, which do have veggies added. I don't like that some are combined meats (rabbit with pork fat) and some have ground flax seeds (a grain). If your hubby is ok with that kind of raw diet, what about getting other ground premade products? Ask in your area what is around that you can find, sometimes you can find local sources for ground products. The bacteria risk isn't really that bad, unless you're leaving out food, not cleaning up or have issues with raw meat in the house for yourself. Or allow the dogs to eat their raw meat on the couch or something insane like that.

Many people feed only raw, and raise puppies on it too. It's a great option!

To rotate the diet, you would introduce new meats slowly - so start with one, then the next week add in a new meat, then the next week and so on until they're eating different meats. Then just feed something new each night, simple as that! So tonight is chicken, tomorrow night is beef, the next day is rabbit.

I use a kelp type supplement mix, in a salt shaker, and just sprinkle it on their food. Done. Squirt of oil and serve.

Lana

·
Registered
731 Posts
If his concern is the whole aspect, giving the dogs whole bones to chomp, if you have a local butcher, they can grind up a meat and bone mix. It makes it much easier I think to portion out foods when they're made into a mix thank chunky. I don't trust my crew to chew very well so I like making a grounded mix.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
If his concern is the whole aspect, giving the dogs whole bones to chomp, if you have a local butcher, they can grind up a meat and bone mix. It makes it much easier I think to portion out foods when they're made into a mix thank chunky. I don't trust my crew to chew very well so I like making a grounded mix.
I grind mine, as well. I keep enough thawed out for 2 days or so and freeze the rest, taking a portion out a day or so in advance to thaw. Each batch is a bit different (one batch may have ground veggies, the next may have eggs, the next may just be meat, etc). I grind the bones and add muscle meat (my two seem to get stopped up if I don't add muscle meat plus the RMBs). A good percentage of these mixes have a bit of organ meat in them. Once thawed, I sometimes I add yogurt or cottage cheese, and usually add flaxseed oil, Vitamins C&E, and any medications anyone is on.
To feed 2 cats on ground raw/THK Prowl, one dog on kibble, and two dogs on raw (plus I sterilize water dishes at every meal), the time between opening the refrigerator to begin prepping, and the dishes being placed on the drying rack is about 5-10 minutes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts