Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have been thinking... ( i know its scary >.>)
my little pom weighs about 8 lbs and we have her on blue buffalo dry dog food and its been treating us well, but i was looking into different dog foods and i found the new food Orijen. it looks amazing and seeing how a 6lbs bag of blue buffalo last us 4 to 5 months ( i know that sounds crazy but she gets treats like meat or some bread from meals we eat and because she is so small she doesnt eat a hole lot of anything)
i decided i might as well pay a extra $5 to feed her Orijen, and then while searching the net the whole raw dog food idea came into my mind, and i thought it would be awesome to feed her orijen and raw instead of blue and table scrap / treats, but then looking at the sticky talking about beef hearts and whole chickens it makes me feel a little over whelmed because i know she wont be able to eat a lot so making large bulk meals would be kinda pointless, i heard about home cooked meals and was wondering if any of you have small pomeranian size recipes for slightly cooked diet.
anyways could you guys give me some advice and your thoughts on this matter and recipes if you have any. thank you!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Raw is AWESOME...even for the little guys!:)

My internet-friend Molly, www.hcdoxies.com, feeds all of her Mini Doxies PMRaw, she has quite a few videos on her site of her little guys eating away!:D Little dogs tend to need more then the 2-3%, some times more like 5-6% of their body weight per day!:) I am hoping to this weekend adopt a Mini Doxie....she will be raw fed, as are my current 3 dogs and 2 cats!:)

It really is EASY....once you get the hang of it it is SUPER easy!:)

I have a few more links, let me know if you would like them!:)

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
My chihuahua is only 4 pounds and she has been on raw since the day I brought her home. I could not be happier with the raw diet and I have vowed to never feed kibble to any pet I get ever again. As for the heart and organ meat, and any meat really. I buy and pack into freezer baggies and thaw as needed. Small portions can be packed into separate baggies. And meat lasts quite a while in the freezer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have small dogs that eat raw. Two are ~10 pounds, one is ~6 pounds. They all eat about 4-6 oz per day.

Remember that feeding raw you can do balance over time, so they don't need every single meal to be completely balanced. My dogs get a chicken leg one day, a chunk of pork meat and a scoop of organ mince the next day, then a chunk of steak and a chicken foot the next day, than a small whole raw fish (or a can of sardines, even though they aren't "raw") the next day with another scoop of organ mince, etc. Over about a week or so, they get everything they are supposed to have.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have small dogs that eat raw. Two are ~10 pounds, one is ~6 pounds. They all eat about 4-6 oz per day.

Remember that feeding raw you can do balance over time, so they don't need every single meal to be completely balanced. My dogs get a chicken leg one day, a chunk of pork meat and a scoop of organ mince the next day, then a chunk of steak and a chicken foot the next day, than a small whole raw fish (or a can of sardines, even though they aren't "raw") the next day with another scoop of organ mince, etc. Over about a week or so, they get everything they are supposed to have.
GREAT post!!:D And EXACTLY what people need to remember when going/considering raw!:) Its not as if you have to look at your dogs daily portion(say 10oz) and go ok, 8oz HAVE to be muscle meat, 1oz has to be edible bone, while .5oz has to be liver and .5oz another organ!:) Its an over time kind of thing!:) (I do it over either a 2 week or month period....all dependent on if i have enough in the freezer to figure out for 3 dogs and 2 cats for a month!:wink:)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A whole chicken would be more than a week's worth of meals even for 38 pound Max. I don't much like serving him stinky meat so when I get out a chunk that lasts more than a couple days I also get out organ meat and other meat needed to make a reasonable balance between bone and meat and fill up my empty plastic bins and refreeze the meat. A quart holds about 24-28 ounces so lasts me about 2-2.5 meals, you could just fill up bins smaller than mine. Once you have a few filled up bins just wait for good deals to come your way and make up more as you go.

This way I am feeding bony meat plus organ one day and boneless meat the next and don't worry about meat sticking around long enough to get stinky.

Even though Max only eats about 18-20 pounds of meat a month I still take advantage of boxed meat. In my area I can get good prices and great variety doing so. I only buy meat a few times a year and use a medium sized upright freezer to store it all. His stuff is dog meat only but if you bought from a wholesale place you could buy human grade stuff and use it for your family.

Unless you have issues with feeding raw, sick family members, cannot handle touching it, etc feed raw. It is easier and cheaper than cooking. If I had to cook for Max I would be trying for this sort of thing.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
Mostly meat, a little organ and fatty fish, remember to add about 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of meaty stuff and about 25% non starchy veggies. Start with about 2% of your dog's weight and add more or take away depending on the dog's condition. Use a variety of meat and organs and use more red meat like pork, beef and lamb than chicken even though chicken is cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mostly meat, a little organ and fatty fish, remember to add about 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of meaty stuff and about 25% non starchy veggies. Start with about 2% of your dog's weight and add more or take away depending on the dog's condition. Use a variety of meat and organs and use more red meat like pork, beef and lamb than chicken even though chicken is cheap.
Just a side note to "Mother Gaia", since the information might seem confusing and contradictory at first, there are 2 main styles of raw feeding: BARF and prey-model.

Kathhy is referring to BARF style raw, which includes veggies. (I don't know all the ratios for BARF, I'm sure someone will pop in with more info.)

The style I feed (and it looks like "abi88" feeds too) is prey-model raw, which is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organs. No veggies in prey-model raw.

Research both and see which style you are more comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
No, that is a recipe for cooked food. It could be served raw as well I suppose. If Max needed a low phosphorus diet like Sassy did I would feed it. If he needed cooked food I would feed it. I sure hope he never does, I love giving him the 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ he currently gets and it is so much cheaper than cooking for him would be. Take that chicken for instance. It is 30% bone that would be thrown away if he ate it cooked. Then I would need to add calcium back and expensive vegetables for the calcium and bulk that bone provides.

BARF is generally half bony stuff like chicken necks with the rest of the diet consisting of ground meat and veggie mush with loads of supplements. If they just added a bit of liver half those supplements wouldn't be necessary! But once a BARF mush has been made it can be packed and frozen in just the size needed for that dog. Better than kibble but I would rather feed Max prey model style raw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My mistake, sorry. My brain was in "raw mode"; one of those situations were you see what you expect to see, and I misread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts