Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I have a little lhasa apso named Midnight. She's about three and a half years old. We recently moved to a new area and at first my dog was her energetic and fun loving self. My boyfriend and I had to return back home for a few days due to a family emergency and left my dog in the care of a close and trusted friend. When I came home I noticed something not quite right about my dog. Normally, when I leave the house, even for ten minutes, when I return she almost knocks me over by jumping up on me and loving me. This time when she came to visit me she seemed just very tired and didn't jump at all. She seemed fine for a few days. Then a few days later I noticed that her stomach was hard and she would no longer run, jump and play, that she just wanted to sleep all day. That and she had stopped eating and only drank very little, and when she did go to the bathroom she would never poop. I took her to the vet and he told me that she had an upset stomach, a normal temp and gave me antibiotics and chewables to put the good bacteria back into her stomach.

We're almost through the medicine and she's eating and drinking a lot better, but not quite back to where she used to, and she's pooping again. However, she tenses up really tight if I touch her back or her stomach when she's standing. If she's laying down I can touch her stomach and back with no problems, and I can feel that it's no longer hard. She doesn't like to be picked up anymore, she's still acting lethargic, and doesn't play, run or jump anymore. In fact, she doesn't even want to be around people very often. If I try to walk up to her to pet her, she walks away to avoid me until I stop following her or I catch up to her. I was told normally dogs do get sick but after a day or so they are back to normal and it's been four days with improvement but no real recovery.

My boyfriend thinks on top of her stomach ache she might have jumped up and landed wrong and hurt her back, but I figured the vet would notice that. His theory is that our friend brought over fast food, which he does often, and was maybe feeding her french fries or spicy food, which upset her stomach. Normally when she's around people food, she gets really excited and will jump and run around, and that during her excitement she landed wrong. I do want to say that in no way am I blaming my friend, because he loves my dog almost as much as we do and I know he would never ever do anything on purpose to hurt her.

I guess my question is, is it normal for a dog to stay sick this long and are all of these symptoms typical for a dog with an upset stomach? Or could there be more wrong with my dog? It's not that I don't trust the vet, but it was the first time I ever took my dog to this new place and I wonder if something might have been missed, I guess?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I would be concerned that she has an obstruction. I'd probably want xrays of the abdomen and back (in case she hurt her back as you suggest).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be concerned that she has an obstruction. I'd probably want xrays of the abdomen and back (in case she hurt her back as you suggest).
I'm thinking about taking her back and maybe getting x-rays. If it's an obstruction would she still be able to go to the bathroom? One vet we talked to was wondering the same thing, but she's been able to poop again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts