Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There would? I've regularly used two dog parks over the last 4 years that allow intact animals, and no litters were sired at either.

I am just not one to say that because SOME people can't be responsible or because SOME dogs don't like intact dogs, that they shouldn't be allowed when they are perfectly friendly dogs. Education and prevention can go a lot further than banning an entire type of dog just because something *could* happen. If it's a park where intact animals are allowed, then your neutered dog will be expected to play nice or not at all.
I agree completely. Ma'ii isn't a good dog park dog because he has big issues with other intact males. But that's the exception, not the rule. I think it should be treated as a case by case. I've known a lot of intact dogs who are fine with other dogs. I don't see why they should be discriminated against for simply being intact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is rather oldddd
but i feel compelled to respond anyway lol. your dog did not exhibit aggrssion in this situation, whatsoever.
I know it probably looked, "aggressive'' but your dog was at most defeinding/protecting itself from a bully: in dog language, aaka with their mouths and body.
Your dog essentially said, get off me, no really...get off me. oh no? How does it feel?
The fact your dog pinned the other tells me your dog was antiipating your intervening. Otherwise, an aggressive dog wouldve bit the other dog, perhaps not releasing and trying to physically incapascitate it. Your dog's "snapping'' suggests and implies restraint. Not bite. It was telling hte dog it could bite and hurt him if he persists; but won't if not absolutely necessary. Your dog just defended itself. Snapping at another dog is doggie code for "i have teeth too, dont make me use them"

Hello all -

We took our 1.5 year old fixed male Rough Collie to the local dog park yesterday, a dog park he has been to probably 20-25 times over the past six months without incident. We were there for 15-20 minutes without any issues when a Siberian Husky and its owners entered the dog park. I didn't initially notice any issues with the husky until at one point I looked over and the husky had its two front paws on top of our collie's back at a side angle. Our collie jerked its head back and the husky then mounted our collie. Somehow our collie quickly reversed this position and began to mount the husky. The husky responded by snapping at our collie's neck, to which our collie responded by pinning the husky to the ground and snapping four or five times at the husky's neck before I was able to pull our collie away. After I asked and confirmed that everyone involved was okay, another owner told the husky owner that no aggressive dogs were allowed and asked if the husky was fixed. She responded no and the other owner informed her that non-fixed dogs were not allowed in the dog park. We left after this (as did a few other owners but not the husky owner for some reason).

This was the first time we had seen this aggressiveness from our collie. My questions are:

Should we be concerned? From my biased vantage point, it seemed our dog was defending himself from an aggressive dog trying to dominate him. I obviously did not like the response of pinning down the husky and snapping at its neck in retaliation but was this justified? Should we avoid the dog park for awhile?

Just for more background information: Our collie was purchased from a breeder last summer when he was about six months old. He was fixed 2 months ago and has not shown any signs of aggressiveness before this p

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.