Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am planning to get my first dog soon, and I think I've narrowed the breed that fits best for me down to the Scottish Collie. I live in a city without a yard, which I know is not ideal for this breed. But research has led me to believe that collies have lower exercise requirements than the other herding breeds, and I of course plan to give the dog the exercise it needs (I live by jogging paths and dog parks). I am self-employed with flexible hours and am in the apartment most of the day. Am I asking for trouble or should I be okay?

Secondly, I'm having trouble deciding between the rough or the smooth collie. I feel like the rough collie's coat will attract all of the dirt on the streets, but I currently live with a roommate who has a siberian husky and that dog seems quite clean despite receiving a bath maybe once a year. But maybe I'm wrong?

I would love to hear your input! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have a rough and a smooth collie. They can be great apartment dogs as long as you do give them adequate exercise. Collies are probably the least intense of the herding breeds. They have a great "off switch" in the house. As long as they can be with their people, they're happy to lounge around.

The rough will collect a bit more dirt, but it falls off. We'll come back from a hike with Toby wet and dirty. As soon as he's dry the dirt is gone. Contrary to what most people think, the rough doesn't have to be brushed daily. Once or sometimes twice a week is plenty.

Both of them shed (although neither sheds as much as a husky). In fact, right now the smoothie is shedding worse than the rough.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I owned my Rough Collies when I lived in the city. I had no issues with mine at all. I brushed my dog(s) daily .... only because I loved to groom them. :) They are wonderful dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts