Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeding ToTW High Prairie formula to my 8wk old Australian Cattle Dog/Collie mix puppy. Is there any reason I can't change to the other ToTW formulas or mix them in together if he will eat it? I was really more interested in the Wetlands formula, but they were out of it at the feed store. I was just thinking it might be a nice variety for him. (of course I may be projecting all over him and he really doesn't care at all)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Usually monthly or every other month I change to different flavors. My dog is on allergy formula, but there are a few different allergy formula flavors, right now he's on duck and potatoe, next im going to try salmon and potaoe.

It's good to change and give them different protein sources, as in, chicken, fish, beef, etc...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I wouldn't mix the two, but you can switch (and it is actually recommended by some to switch) protein sources every few months. Some people rotate four different protein sources (chicken, fish, lamb, venison, for example) throughout the year... it's supposed to help prevent allergies.

Some people just like adding stuff to their dogs' food to mix up the variety... a spoonful of canned tuna, for example, or a drizzle of coconut oil, or a raw egg with its shell crushed, or a little bit of plain yogurt, or some banana or apple... that kind of thing. There are plenty of ways to spice up your dogs' meal in ways that are nutritionally beneficial to him. Tuna is a great source of omega, coconut oil helps their coats, eggs help their coats and the shells provide protein, "live" yogurt is a source of probiotics, banana potassium, so on and so forth.

More on natural supplementation here:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=supplementing
and remember, everything in moderation. Too much of anything was never good for anyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts