Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of this and didn't know who to ask. What happens to petstore puppies if they don't get bought? I was buying stuff at petland (I hate to support them but its the only place that sells the cat food I like), I noticed there was a xoloitzcuintli. Where I live, hairless dogs are considered gross, and the cute fluffy poms and huskies will for sure be bought, and the xoloitzcuintli is noticeably older than all of the other puppies... Do they put them on sale?.. or worse put them down?

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
They get progressively marked down - eventually to what they paid the puppy mill.

For a chain like Petland, they might rotate them to another store.

Petland is one of the most notorious puppy retailers. One opened in a town of about 70,000 where I used to live. They were boycotted and picketed and lasted about six weeks.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Missouri, Near St. Lewis where most of the puppy mills are located for the Kansas City/Missouri area. Puppy mills are very prevalent here, and nobody really cares. They just see a puppy and buy it. I was just curious as to what they do. I can't imagine them paying much for the puppy directly from the puppy mill? I also don't see it very likely for them to sell a Xolo, I hope nothing bad happens to him.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
They up-charge at every level along the way. Puppy producer sells puppy to a broker for a few hundred dollars. Broker sells the puppy to the pet store for two to five times what they paid the producer. There might be more than one broker along the way..... local broker collects puppies from area producers, and sells them on to a broker who buys from other areas as well, who then resells them to the pet store. Pet store then sells the puppy for three to ten times what they paid the broker. So, producer sells the puppy to a broker for $100, broker sells the puppy to another broker for $500, who then sells it to the pet store for $1500, and the pet store sells it to a sucker, uh, I mean customer for $5000.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, def sucker... A well bred purebred doesn't usually cost that much (unless you import it). I am not sure why people are inclinded to buy puppy mill dogs, over finding a reputable breeder. Boggles my mind... it really does. They must be pressure into it, or "feel bad" for the puppy. That or they aren't educated and have no idea where pet store puppies come from.. (which is dumb because its ALL over the media)....Furthermore places who sell puppies ruin the idea of breeders for people as well. They think oh well backyard breeders/puppymills neglect their dogs & contribute to shelters, then they all do and its an endless cycle of education

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, having done it several times and tried and failed several times, I can tell you why people give up trying to get a puppy from an ethical breeder. Mind you, I believe that's the route people should take, but I still understand why puppy seekers are put off. Go to a backyard breeder, pet store, or puppy miller direct, and you pick your puppy, pay your money, and walk off with the puppy. Go to the "good" breeder and you fill out an application or have a long talk with the breeder that amounts to the same thing, which is to say answering a lot of personal questions. They may want and check references. They often have waiting lists. Many don't allow you to choose a puppy but decide which one you should have based on their opinion of you and the puppy. They probably do know best about that, but still it can be hard to swallow when the puppy they want you to take isn't the one you fell in love with.

So I have no solution to offer. I firmly believe the good breeder is the way to go and worth the aggravation, but I also understand and have often resented the aggravation as much as anyone. It gets easier once you have successfully dealt with someone in your area or if you join a breed club and take part or if you actually have shown a dog - any of those things give you a history and makes it easier. Good breeders are of course trying to get the best home for each puppy, but the fact is their efforts all too often make it seem as if they expect you to pay a hefty price for a puppy while treating you as if they're doing you a favor. It can be a royal pain in the neck and then sometimes you get no puppy after all that because the bitch didn't conceive, or there was only one puppy, or some other reason.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that, But I'd rather have the headache & wait years vs. having a dog with behaviorall/health issues & support such a cause. I see how it can be off putting to "non-dog people", and is probably why I don't understand... Tbh I'd rather somebody buy a dog from somebody posing to be a ethical breeder but isn't, over buying a puppy mill dog...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts