Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Puppies are weaned starting around 4 weeks of age on average but it depends on the breed/size and the size of the litter ect..I wait to spay until around 3 to 4 months after delivery this is mine and my vets personal opnion.

I suggest looking at your local library most of them have a few books on rearing puppies ect.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i would not spay until the pups are leaving the mom....moms/pups tend to still nurse well into the 6th/7th wk even if just a little and i wouldn't want anything to happen...if the pups were 8 wks b/4 having mom spayed you're still going to be well b/4 her next cycle....

JMO on the matter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Absolutely not, please do not spay until 3 months after the puppies are weaned. This allows the uterus and its bloodflow to return to its pre-preganancy state. Its less stressful on the body this way. It also gives her an opportunity for her hormones to return to a normal level.

I do not wean my puppies, I allow mom to do that. Often times, she will begin correcting them at around 8 weeks of age. My litters are kept intact until 12 weeks.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My vet says that cats can be spayed when the kittens are 9 weeks old......but cats in heat are commonly spayed (otherwise it would never get done!), and he refuses to spay a dog in heat. So at 9 weeks post partum a dog might still be in a heat-like state. I think asking the vet that would do the spay would be best. Ask him/her for the reasons behind their answers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts