Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted a local breeder regrading the possible purchase of a pup and asked if we could visit their kennel. They told me that they only allow people who have placed a deposit on a pup to visit the kennel due to their busy life and time schedule.

That concerns me because what if we don't like the kennel, breeder etc... ?

Is this typical or is it a sign that we should move on?

Thanks....

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's typical. Too many risks for the breeder to allow any Joe Blow to window shop. Disease, AR wackos, thieves & murders using the ruse to get into their home.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
What's their policy on deposits? Like, could you put down a deposit to show you are serious but get the money back if it turns out they aren't a good fit?

I totally get that a lot of breeders operate out of their homes and they don't just keep their door open for strangers to waltz in. However, many breeders (including the one I got my pup from) encourage people to come and visit. Of course, scheduling it so it's not a surprise. Another breeder in my area was practically pushing me to visit her property even though I casually mentioned *maybe* being interested in a dog a few years down the line.

I think there are balances and preferences for sure. But I can also see a breeder also using the excuse of "no home visits until deposits" to rope people into committing to puppies (ie, scam).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it probably varies depending on each breeder. One of the breeders I contacted encouraged me to come out and meet her dogs even though there were no available puppies at that time. She said it would be a good opportunity to see their temperament and get to know us. Another breeder I contacted wasn't even planning on breeding until several months down the line. Yet she suggested I drive 2 hours to a dog show where some of her dogs were going to be shown to meet her and her dogs. A third breeder was like the one you mentioned. Until a deposit was made, there was no seeing her dogs.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
for me that would be a nope....... I have never been asked to do that wanting to visit a kennel and a breeder. It may take a few days to get an appointment but never have I been asked to put down a deposit before they give me their time. and busy life schedule ?????. if you have a kennel of dogs ... you spend much of your daily time at the kennels with the dogs to be available.. mmmm

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That sounds a little fishy to me. Like, maybe if I could get my deposit back if I decide I do not want to purchase from that breeder, but it if was non-refundable I would nope right the heck out of there. I also agree with Patricia that if you're breeding dogs, you should probably make time in your busy schedule to let potential buyers visit your dogs without forcing them to commit to buying your puppy.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It's typical. Too many risks for the breeder to allow any Joe Blow to window shop. Disease, AR wackos, thieves & murders using the ruse to get into their home.
AR wackos, thieves and MURDERERS ??? ... lol c'mon, you can't be serious.

No. It's simply a matter of arrogance, mixed with a bit of demand exceeding supply.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That wouldn't necessarily be a red flag for me. But I'd definitely ask about the parents, health testing, warranty etc too. Some breeders do have busy lives and really don't have the time to get lots of people in their homes, especially if they already have a lot of people lined up to get their puppies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
AR wackos, thieves and MURDERERS ??? ... lol c'mon, you can't be serious.

No. It's simply a matter of arrogance, mixed with a bit of demand exceeding supply.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Bobbie_Jo_Stinnett

It's happened. And yes, PETArds and other animal rights terrorists have no problem pretending to be buyers (or employees for that matter) to try to find or manufacture evidence of animal cruelty to push their agenda.

Is it really that fishy that a person doesn't want strangers in their home? None of the COE breeders I know let just anyone in without first vetting them and meeting them elsewhere. Several of them also require deposits after this vetting process before you are invited to come over. Almost all of them require that you travel to them to pick up your puppy so you will be there at least once anyway.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Maybe it's a geographic thing. We really don't have issues like that in Canada. Especially if a breeder uses the usual "quality" channels for initiating the placement process -- networking at dog shows, past clients, referrals from past clients, referrals from veterinary team etc. I mean, maybe there's some risk if the fly-by-night breeders resort to craigslist, kijiji and the like. But otherwise, no.

We're generally a very laid back and peaceful nation. Not many unborn babies being hacked from wombs up here.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Personally I would never put down any money without seeing the place and the dogs first.

I could understand if someone randomly called them up and asked to come see the kennel that they would say no. I imagine they get lots of "just looking" people. But if you're seriously interested they should allow it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, Canadian here, too. From a cop family. That kind of stuff DOES happen here. Too often. That's why many of the police detachments and stations have designated exchange spots in their parking lots for things like facebook or kijiji sales.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Some breeders are worried about parvo or other disease risk, as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts