Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping there would be some dog experts that could tell me what kind of weight I am gonna be looking at for my dog when she's older.

Right now she's at 9.7 KG (A little over 21 pounds for the Americans) at 12 weeks old on the dot.
She's not overweight, she's a little too lean in my taste for a puppy, but she doesn't wanna eat that much, and I can't really force her.

Here's a couple of pictures of her if that helps the assessment, she's a mix between GSD and SBT. And seeing how different the breeds are it is really hard for me to tell, but maybe someone could tell by her current weight. Wanna be feeding her correctly and everything is calculated by adult weight, and I honestly have no idea how big she'll be, if she'll be a medium or large breed or how many kgs.

Hope to get an answer. <3

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'd guess about 60ish pounds. I'd figure she'll be around 30lbs at 4 months, then double that is 60, but there is always wiggle room with the larger breeds.There are weight calculators out there if you look for them. Your vet should also be able to give you an estimate and tell you how much to feed, and that could probably just be a quick phone call, although with a young pup you'll be in and out of there for shots, anyways.

Also, it is much better for puppies to be lean than chubby. People like to see chubby puppies, but for their growth and development, leaner is better. You should be able to fairly easily feel ribs, with her coat maybe see the last 1 or 2 at certain angles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess about 60ish pounds. I'd figure she'll be around 30lbs at 4 months, then double that is 60, but there is always wiggle room with the larger breeds.There are weight calculators out there if you look for them. Your vet should also be able to give you an estimate and tell you how much to feed, and that could probably just be a quick phone call, although with a young pup you'll be in and out of there for shots, anyways.

Also, it is much better for puppies to be lean than chubby. People like to see chubby puppies, but for their growth and development, leaner is better. You should be able to fairly easily feel ribs, with her coat maybe see the last 1 or 2 at certain angles.
The calculators seemed highly inaccurate, all based on pure breeds, and had very very different results.
And my vet visits are over for another 3 months, she had her last puppy vaccine yesterday. So a checkup and deworming in 3 months time. But I guess it doesn't hurt to call or send him a text later. ^^
Here in Norway we only do vaccines at 8 and 12 weeks now, and other vaccines if traveling to other countries only as things like rabies just doesn't exist here.
Anyhow I think I safely can feed her like a smaller large breed dog by your estimates, and well, most of the calculators I found.
Working on weening her over to a raw diet, and I know she loves it so much that she'll devour it once I start only feeding her that. Now she mostly just eats the meat and tries to ignore any type of kibble. :D
I wanna do it right and give her the correct amount. ^^

Been worried just cause of that, can feel her ribs pretty well now, can't see them though, pictures are abit deceptive as she has a double coated fur like the GSD, so visually it's impossible to see.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I found http://www.puppychart.com/ to be quite accurate (within a lb) for my mixed breed. And her mix includes various sizes. It predicted her to be 26.0 lbs (with a guestimated DOB and what she weighted when she arrived at the shelter) and her ideal adult weight is around 27 lbs.

Regardless, I would feed her based on her current body condition, which looks great to me, not too thin for a growing puppy. If she starts getting rounder or when she starts getting extra leggy, adjust her food to compensate. But she looks good right now and I'd just stick with that. :)

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
The growth calculator has been *reasonably* accurate for my guys, mostly, but a long way from perfect.

For the record, this is my double coated (ACD like coat) puppy.

Visible ribs really, really don't bother me at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The growth calculator has been *reasonably* accurate for my guys, mostly, but a long way from perfect.

For the record, this is my double coated (ACD like coat) puppy.

Visible ribs really, really don't bother me at all.

This is how visible her ribs are atm, only properly see them when she's leaning over the footstool.
And do you mean the same one as gingerkid showed? for the calculator that is? :)
Very nice puppy you have there, very cute and looks happy and healthy. How old?

@gingerkid
All of the food I give her is all based on how much she'll be as an adult, so it's been hard, and now that I've started going over to a raw diet she wants to eat everything. Just wanna get the correct amount.
With the kibble she regulated herself, cause it wasn't really interesting. So she only ate when actually hungry, now the meals are starting to go over to 75% raw meat and 25% kibble

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
She's adorable and looks good to me. Kiran is almost 5 months old and that's the same calculator!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's adorable and looks good to me. Kiran is almost 5 months old and that's the same calculator!
Thought I'd put an update, got a little tilted. I showed this picture of my puppy on facebook, and I got so much crap for her being skinny.

Showed this picture cause I thought she looked adorable, and then I get comments about starving her -.-
Feeling I am getting tilted now. She eats so much at this point as well.

This is one of her sitting aswell, both pictures are from yesterday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they usually double
their weight at 12 weeks give or take a few pounds
I am going with the double of the 4 month marker instead seeing how she grows now and is far from an adult, she's now at 14 weeks old already nearly 13KG(around 28 lbs).
Talked to a lot of people with dogs that had a similar weight as mine growing up, and they all ended up at around 30kgs (66 lbs).
So I do think she'll be something similar seeing this is a big dog, not a smaller breed.

But thank you. ^^

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
She looks perfect to me! People are really used to seeing fat dogs and puppies, sadly, but it really is better for their joints to be on the lean side, especially while they're growing. So long as she's eating well and the hips/ribs/spine aren't super prominent, I'd say you're fine! This chart might help you out:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She looks perfect to me! People are really used to seeing fat dogs and puppies, sadly, but it really is better for their joints to be on the lean side, especially while they're growing. So long as she's eating well and the hips/ribs/spine aren't super prominent, I'd say you're fine! This chart might help you out:
Yeah it is really sad. I got so much barrage for sharing that picture.
They justify it by saying that puppies need that weight to grow. Cpt explained a lot earlier in the post about how the weight should be.

And yeah she eats quite a lot. I am overfeeding a little bit though compared to what the recommended amounts were since she's really an active breed. Not by a huge amount. Just do a little of the "snacks" extra.

Got kibble out at all times aswell if she needs more food. No starvation here.

And for can't feel her spine/hips/shoulders or see them. Ribs can't be felt that well. But she got a waist. I think she looks and feels healthy. ^^ and with her growth of a kilo a week I think she's doing great.

Just get very triggered when people try so hard to tell you that you are doing it all wrong, and that you are starving your puppy.
She controls her consumption for the most part. She won't eat unless she's actually hungry. Even if it's a nice steak infront of her. ^^

·
Registered
549 Posts

Nice chart! Unfortunately a bit harder to see the waist from the top with my fluffy dog. Heck, my older dog has been too skinny for a while and I never even noticed because he has so much fur on this body...

Your puppy looks good to me.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
She looks good to me, based on these pictures. It's better to have them a bit lean, rather than too heavy. Like DaySleepers said, too many people are used to seeing overweight dogs, and find a dog at its proper weight to be "skinny".

·
Registered
104 Posts
she is fine you might get lucky and have a free feed dog my last dog a husky mix i could leave a big bowl of food out and she would eat what she needed she had a perfect weight her whole life as for my beagle mix he is a chow hound lol i have to dole it out for him

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she is fine you might get lucky and have a free feed dog my last dog a husky mix i could leave a big bowl of food out and she would eat what she needed she had a perfect weight her whole life as for my beagle mix he is a chow hound lol i have to dole it out for him
Yeah she kinda controls everything herself, the amount I feed her right now is the amount she wanted to pretty much. (not spoiled at all)
She flips the bowl if she didn't get enough food, if she did she doesn't do anything. Not maybe the best behaviour, but at least it helped me find out how much she needs. (The raw food bowl).
If there's too much food in the bowl, she will leave it alone until the time around the next scheduled mealtime is.
The dry food just always stands there if she needs more, but the kind I got she really really doesn't like. So ordered a new type that's coming next week, will help a lot if she does like it, so I don't have to throw away raw meat that she doesn't eat if she's full and I missed the correct dose. (Meaning all the time I give her too many treats since I suck at tracking how many treats she gets when we are training and then she doesn't want all her food. :D I just get a little carried away when she's learning new things)

Nice chart! Unfortunately a bit harder to see the waist from the top with my fluffy dog. Heck, my older dog has been too skinny for a while and I never even noticed because he has so much fur on this body...

Your puppy looks good to me.
Yeah can imagine it's a little harder with a dog with very long fur, don't think I could've seen it on my first dog at all. ^^
My pup from above is like the 5. And from the side it's like almost the same, she's got a very big chest right now, so it it's a little more steep but it's straight, and you can feel she's got a little bit of a fat layer, but not a huge amount.

Here's a pic from the side, I have to apologize that it isn't the best. It's near impossible to take pictures of her when she stands, she hasn't really learned a standing stay yet, we've barely scratched the surface of the normal stay, started with it yesterday, and at least I can already throw treats and toys around without her moving. :D
However she has no release command, so that has been really fun around feeding times today. Cause she just sat patiently waitng for a treat, had to go downstairs to get the treats this morning when I fed her since she didn't move at all until she got it. And then she could eat. Dogs are great sometimes. ^^ <3

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I think she looks fantastic. I've always kept my dogs on the lean side, and my vets compliment me on it. They see a lot of fat dogs and actually seem almost excited when they see a healthy one! When I took my AKK in recently, the vet told me his weight was perfect.

She's 15 weeks now? Here's my AKK at that age:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts